Chapter Three

I held my breath as I pulled into the driveway, the tension in my shoulders releasing only after I had turned off my car and let out a long sigh of relief. I leaned forward, letting my forehead rest on the steering wheel as I slowly took three deep breaths and attempted to try and put everything into perspective.

Ms. Johnson had let me know that there was no way to change my classes around when I had gone to see her at the end of the day, completely shattering any and all hope I had of getting away from Ashton. All I could do now was pray that he'd get over messing with me and finally leave me alone.

I leaned back against my seat, staring at our new house

I stayed in the car for a few more minutes, trying to clear my head of today before I got out and walked to the front door.

"Hello."

I gasped and dropped my bag, whirling around to face the person who spoke. 'I didn't even hear her come up behind me!' I thought as I took in the girl before me. She looked to be my age, and had glossy, dark brown hair, doe-like mahogany eyes, and two perfect dimples on either cheek. She was utterly adorable--yet she gave off the vibe that she could rip a person's head off if she wanted to.

"I'm Ruby Hartfield, and you're Delilah Farrell." she greeted, going ahead and introducing me before I even said anything, with a smile that showed all of her perfect white teeth. "Y-yes, I am." I confirmed, although I knew it was totally unnecessary. I took a few deep breaths to calm myself and she laughed at me. "I scared you!" she announced with glee, causing me to think that she probably did it on purpose.

I merely nodded, unnecessarily confirming what she said again before I turned back around to pick up my bag. I unlocked my door and stepped inside while she stood at the threshold, looking around the foyer but not taking a step inside. "Um, you can come in." I said as I threw my backpack on the stairs, turning to look at her. "I can, can't I?" she smiled brightly. She took a look at her feet as they crossed into the foyer, and the charming grin she wore stayed on her face.

"Oh, it smells wonderful in here." she sighed blissfully. I sniffed the air but couldn't smell a thing, and I shrugged it off, thinking it was just her own cooking that she was smelling. "So Delilah--you attend Wolf Pine High. Have you met the notorious Ashton Riddle yet?" she asked as she walked to the kitchen to put down whatever she was holding, me tagging along behind her. "Yes, I have--and to be honest I was thinking about running him and his stupid bike off the road today."

Shit. Why did that slip out? I bit my lower lip, embarrassed at myself as I wondered what Ruby must think of me now. Another terrible impression made it seems. She turned around and stared at me silently for a good two minutes, her expression hard. Suddenly, she just burst out laughing, and I soon joined in. "Oh--oh, I like you!" she said between her fits of giggles as she bounced over to me and grabbed my hands in hers. She had a strong grip for such a petite girl.

"From now on, you're going to be my friend." she said, not giving me an option to say no. Even if she did, I wouldn't have refused. Even though she was a bit odd, she still seemed like a nice girl, and considering I have no other friends at the moment, I was more than happy to accept her friendship. "Alright. It will be nice to have someone to talk with at school." I said relieved. "Oh, I don't go to Wolf Pine, I'm home schooled." she said, causing my face to fall. "--Although now that you're there I'll just have to start attending. Besides, I wouldn't mind seeing the look on Ashton's face when I show up."

The look on her face and the tinkling laughter that followed that sentence sent shivers up my spine, and I couldn't help but ask, "Does he not like you?" She smiled at me, but her eyes were narrowed and it seemed as if the smile was forced. "He hates me. He would kill me," Talk about dramatic. "If he could." she replied, ending that topic of conversation by walking to the front door.