Taking What's His - Chapter 33

I stood breathless for a few moments before mentally shaking myself, knowing that if anything, I should take a shower to wash Cyril's scent off of me. I wasn't too sure it'd do any good considering they'd no doubt be able to smell him in the foyer, but I'd do what I could to ebb the oncoming rage that would surely come from the both of them.

'Stay out of the forest they said. It dangerous they said. Well I have and now the forest has apparently come to me.' I thought grimly as I stripped off my clothes, waiting a few minutes for the water to heat up before jumping in. It felt good to be home, and to take a shower in my own bathroom after my stay at the hospital. The hot warm stung my skin as I scrubbed, turning myself almost pink.

I was halfway through washing my hair when I heard my name yelled from downstairs, the voice panicked. I sighed, but continued to run a comb through my hair, not planning to get out and face them until it was time to wash the conditioner out. Apparently they weren't to keen on waiting for me, because before I knew it the bathroom door was forced open and the shower curtain ripped back, revealing a red eyed Ruby.

"What the hell--!" I yelled, yanking the fabric back to cover myself. She quickly looked me over before turning her head slightly to yell down to Ashton that I was alright and for him not to come up. "Can I please continue my shower in peace, with the curtain closed?" I groaned, trying to tug it from her grip. "Why the hell would you invite him in? What were you thinking?! You're in even more danger now--" she started, red eyes crazed.

"Ruby, I didn't invite him in. My mom did." I sighed, still half hiding behind what curtain was left to cover myself. "Oh, she did? Well that's just great! Not only is she a useless and uncaring bitch, but now she's put your life in danger as well!" Ruby raged, her eyes glowing even brighter with each word she bit out. I shifted uncomfortably, not really knowing how to react to Ruby's words. What she said was true, but having someone call my mom a bitch was something I didn't really know how to respond to.

The shower curtain was flung back into place as she stormed out of the bathroom, her parting words, "Even if you take a bath, his scent is still all over you and your house." The door slammed closed after her and I stood staring after her as the water continued to uselessly pound against my skin. My lips pressed into a thin line to hold back an exasperated sigh as I turned back to my task.

I had finished and gotten out and dressed in the next ten minutes, and was dragging myself down the stairs to where I could hear Ashton and Ruby arguing. They grew quiet as I entered the kitchen, both of their heads whipping around to face me, showing the tense expressions they both wore. "I don't know what you want me to say. Like I said, it wasn't my idea to invite him in. And all he wanted was to check up on me anyway." I answered an unspoken question as I crossed my arms and leaned against the counter.

Ashton ran a hand through his hair in irritation, which was actually kind of hot to watch, muttering to Ruby in a low tone before turning his attention to me. "Even still, you're vulnerable to him now. He can get in, which means he can get to you if one of us isn't around. We'll have to take extra precautions now." He stated in a tone that left no room for discussion.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes at him, even though I knew he could be right. Cyril was definitely unsettling to be around, and considering none of us knew why he had some kind of morbid interest in me, it would be best to be cautious. "Well, do whatever you see fit. I want to get this food cooking. I'm starved." I announced as I moved around to start unloading the groceries they had picked up.

Ashton left the kitchen while Ruby helped me start the preparations, and halfway through I turned to give her a curious glance. "Er...can you guys even eat? I mean like--real food, not...blood." She glanced at me, a single brow raised and the corner of her mouth twitching up into a smile. "We drink blood, Delilah. Eating it would imply that it was solid, and let me tell you, clotted blood is even nauseating for vampires to think of putting in their mouths. And actually, we can eat. The food gives us no nourishment, but we do enjoy the taste."