Chapter 9

Ricky POV:

It has been three and a half months since we moved into Anne and George's old home. Although Amy had been able to hide her pregnant belly the first time around, after five months of pregnancy, anyone with eyes could tell she was going to have a baby.

That day, I was taking Amy to the doctor's office for an appointment. We were told that we could find out the sex of the baby early because he/she was growing at a much faster pace than most babies. She had chosen to wear a light blue maternity outfit that was almost like a sports jersy. On the front it read: COACH MOM.

We got into the car and strapped John into his seat and got going. About halfway through the ride it began to pour. The rain was so furocious that I could barely see out of the windshield, even with the wiper on. Before I could even pull over onto the side of the road, a pickup truck smashed into the passenger seat side of Amy's orange minivan, right where she was sitting.

Amy POV:

Terror instantly filled my body. John was in the car and to make matters worse, I was five months pregnant! Before I could think, I jumped into the backseat to be with Jhon, ignoring the searing pain in my shoulders and spine. John seemed to be in good condition, nothing was hurt, but he was sobbing uncontrollably. I reached over and stroked his face. "It'll be okay baby." I said, "everything's gonna be okay." After finally letting reality set in I could feel the pain in my lower back and shoulder blades grow stronger. It was easy to ignore the pain though, I was too busy worrying about my unborn baby. Soon enough, an ambulance appeared. After questioning Ricky, the medical assistants came to check on the three of us. According to the EMTs, Ricky and John needed no medical assistance, but since I was pregnant and had extreme back and shoulder pain, I had to be taken to the ER.

After a short and painful ride to the hsospital in an ambulance, I was taken to a small hospital room in the ER. after a long and worrisome examination, I was told that I had fractured a shoulder blade which was causing my shoulder and back pain. "My baby?" I croaked, "is my baby safe?" One of the doctors nodded and explained to me that the baby was fine, but that I'd have to be on bed rest for the rest of my pregnancy. The other doctor told me to get some rest now since they had to do more tests later that afternoon. I was so worried about my baby that I could hardly get any rest, but slowly, I drifted off to sleep.

I woke up about two hours later and noticed that I was no longer wearing my blue maternity outfit. The doctors had cut it off of me to do the X-ray. For all of the wrong reasons, this made me mad. I loved that outfit. My mother had worn it when she was pregnant with me and I wanted to keep it forever. The doctors did some blood tests and a sonogram to make sure the baby was okay. They told me that Ricky and I could find out the sex of the baby, but I refused. I wanted it to be a surprise. After that, they told us I could go home but I am to be on bed rest and had to stay home 24/7. They also said that since I was on bed rest, I could pick my baby's due date. I chose November 16th.

I got home at 5:30 and I was extremely exhausted. Ricky wasn't tired so he took John to go play with some toys.

My beautiful family was the last thing I saw before I fell asleep that night.