Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The Picking

Song of the Chapter: Wherever I Go by Miley Cyrus

*Evie's POV*

"I don't want to go!" Bri cries as I braid her hair. It's the day of the picking, and we're getting ready.

"I know, but we have no choice. Hey, when we go, at least your name will only be in once." I say, trying to comfort her.

"But what if you get picked?" I smile.

"I haven't for six years! What makes you think I'll get picked now?" She shrugs and looks down.

"Everything will change if either one of us gets picked."

"It's the luck of the draw." I remind her. Then I tie the end of her hair, and we meet Mum by the car.

"Are you ready girls?" Mum asks.

"Are we ever?" Then we're off.

~***~

I've done this six times, but for some reason, even if I know I won't get picked, I'm still nervous.

"When we get there, stay by me. Some vampires are attending." Because of Dad's dislike for vampires, Mum has always followed with the tradition, of wishing vampires were dead FOR GOOD. I guess I feel the same way. As for Bri, she doesn't know much about them.

"Yeah I know. There's a lot of creeps there anyways." Even though I'm 16, there is no WAY I am walking alone around there...it gives me the creeps.

"Alright girls. We're here." Bri takes a deep breath as we get out and head into the crowd. We stand silently together, holding hands. Ok, it sounds cheesy, but this will be the last time we will be all be together, if one of us gets picked.

"Welcome." Dave Lennon, the government official that picks every year, says. The crowd is silent. None of us want to be here right now. We all remember what Dave had said last year, which really ticked us off.

"Make sure that we have five extra back ups on case a few decide to eat their humans!" Vampires and government officials laugh in the crowd.

None of us think that's fair. We don't want to die. After this, there's only 4 more draws for you. You can make it!

"Now let's begin." He puts his skinny hand in the glass bowl and feels around. Some people say Dave is a vampire and is pretending to be a human, just so he can get a snack once in a while. I don't believe it. Vampires are smart. Dave is not.

"Come on." Mum mutters under her breath.

"And we have.....Jessica Parker!" There's a cry from the poor girl. But she forces herself over to the group of vampires near the limo that will take the 5 to the other side. He sticks his hand back in the bowl.

"Honey Xassiana." The girl struggle to stay strong, but ends up breaking down.

"Jake Beeinle."

"Drew Curtis."

Mum holds our hands extra tight. Last one. We can make it. I look at Bri and nod my head to her worried face. We won't get picked.

"Evie Foster."

A.N. Eww it was short. D:< Sorry! :( Next one will be longer I promise! Please don't forget to vote comment and follow so I know you're reading my story and are enjoying it! I will try to update soon! Love you tons. xx (BTW the pic above is Evie so please take a look! Thanks! xx)

~Nia~ :D