Chapter 4: The Kraken

Chapter 4:

The Kraken

With the return to ground level comes the directing of our figures in the direction of Gandalf's footfalls. And in all due time, we find ourselves passing around the edge of a deep and dark lake, hidden beneath the cliffs of the Misty Mountains. I don't need to see the water to know it's there, as I can feel my body visibly weaken as we approach a patch of mossy stones, leading up to a smooth wall between two oak trees. Groundwater is the one true weakness of Phoenicians, though it's not strong enough to kill us on a single injury.

"The walls of Moria!" Gimli exclaims in awe, though a good many of us cringe away in disgust. We move slowly across the greasy pathway, pushing to trip even the most agile of creatures, as in Legolas and myself. As we stop to look upon the not-so-obvious entrance to the Mines of Moria, Gandalf reaches upon the high-reaching stone, setting off lines of light in response. It glows like silver veins of moonlight and very fitting, since dwarves only use this type of passageway. First Erebor, and now Moria.

"Itidin...it mirrors only starlight and moonlight," Gandalf remarks, having finally learned of this type of hidden ruins. Indeed, on the Company's journey, the wizard seemingly forgot this hidden language and made the Company travel to Rivendell in response. From what I've heard, my father wasn't happy.

At that moment, a moon larger than ever before breaks forth from the mountains and into the midnight tapestry of the stars. And though Gandalf is of the Valar's existence, meaning he holds the power of light, the moon fully illuminates the broad arch of Moria's doors, shining in its own magic.

"It reads, 'The door of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter,'" Gandalf translates, the Phoenicians perking up in response to the reference to "Durin," especially Cashel and Ruelin. Indeed, this word is their last name, and the intended one of Frerin and myself if my parents had kept with tradition. But as it goes, "Durin" does not sound all that nice when compared to "Oakenshield."

"What do you suppose that means?" Merry questions rightly. Indeed, this seems far too easy to be the password for the mine. If I've learned anything from the dwarves, it's that they always speak in riddles and never come right out with the truth. And in response, they often end up tricking themselves in the process.

"It's quite simple. If you are a friend, speak the password and the doors will open," Gandalf speaks with utter confidence, and unbefitting of the task at hand. So as he raises his hands in conjunction to his chanting, I hold not faith that he is right in his assumption of the password.

"Annon edhellen, edro hi ammen!" he begins, droaning on as the night passes. Winds whip around our every nerve as we watch upon the wizard, bored and helpless in this moment. Frodo stands near Cashel's side, taking warmth off her fiery arms and watching as Gandalf fails in every attempt. It's slightly humorous, but I hold back a laugh.

"You given up yet?" Frerin asks, returning to my side after gathering his supplies from Bill the pony. At this, I laugh loudly as Frerin hands me my backpack, seeing as Gandalf's confidence is running out.

"Mines are no place for a Pony, even one so brave as Bill," Aragorn mumbles to Sam as they unsaddle the pony. Sam looks heartbroken by the departure of this animal, and thus I make a promise to myself, once this is all over, to find Bill and return him to Sam. Indeed, the two seem to have the deep connection only fostered between man and animal.

"Bye, Bill," the hobbit mutters sadly, wiping away tears as the last of the goods are removed from Bill. I am tempted to cry at my innate ability to feel the emotions of others, but it would do no good to be drowned in sorrow when danger is lurking about.