Chapter 24: The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades

Chapter 24:

The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

That singular white flag of black embroidery, bearing a symbol of the Rohirrim might, may have been a foreshadowing moment on this dreary journey. It is now thousands of white and black banners that litter the battlements, though I have little ability to see them as the gates of the keep are firmly shut in my face. Indeed, the forces of Saruman now overrun the Hornburg of this fortress, if it can even be called that anymore. With the gathered group of our Fellowship, all in our original forms, we look far from hopeful, and only heightened by the pessimism of Rohan's king.

"The fortress is taken. It is over," Theoden quips, looking downtrodden rather than worried. I'd far rather see the latter reaction, as it still has the prospect of hope. And then there is the downtrodden attitude, in which the king will readily roll over for the orcs of Saruman. I can easily say that I have never felt the latter.

"It's not over until we're dead," Frerin remarks bluntly, yet effectively and truthfully. Theoden sends my brother a warning glare, unfitting of the enemies outside this door. If anyone should be criticized, it is the orcs of Isengard and their leader. Frerin is simply exclaiming the truth, and should heed no ear to the criticism of allies.

"You said this fortress would never fall while your men defend it! They still defend it! They have died defending it!" Aragorn exclaims angrily, though it is weakened by his current occupation of sealing up the large oaken doors with a table. But all the same, his words ring true: did these men and elves die just for Theoden to give up? Does this king think we will stand by him in his cowardice?

"Is there no other way for the women and children to get out of the caves?" Aragorn asks, looking to Theoden as this other king averts his gaze. I can feel my anger heightening as Theoden avoids answering. He acts as if this situation is a friendly competition with Mordor, that his people are safe from Saruman's wrath. And it is this ignorance and idiocracy that sends my blood boiling. But Aragorn continues, "Is there no other way?"

"There is one passage. It leads into the mountains. But they will not get far. The Uruk-hai are too many," Gamling answers for the king, having a slightly better moral compass than his ruler. Before this journey, I held a great respect for the humanity that inhabits this earth. But as I've come to discover, only the men of common origin are worth admiring. It is kings like these that deserve no pity.

"Any move is better than none," Ruelin remarks bitterly. Our eyes catch upon one another in a dead lock. Her brown and my blue orbs burn brightly in our fury towards Theoden. Sure, we are naturally wiser than this king, but that excuse has an extent of effectiveness. Theoden is now simply acting dumb.

"Send word for the women and children to make for the mountain pass. And barricade the entrance," Theoden decides, prompting me to release a short and grateful breath of relief. At least this ruler has some sort of logic, even if we have to drive it into him.

"So much death. What can men do against such reckless hate?" Theoden ponders, illuminating his state of shock at the situation he's found himself in. I roll my eyes at this notion, seeing as the entirety of the Fellowship worked to prevent this exact situation. If only he listened to us, and we would not be solely relying upon the White Wizard's hopeful arrival.

"They can fight like the brash and strong race they are," Frerin remarks sarcastically, acting as if the mere notion of fighting is outrageous. But this is all in an attempt to mimic the lame king of Rohan, who seems confused at the idea to fight to the death. If this is to end tonight, we will not go down without a battle.