Chapter 48: Wedding crashers

***Warning: There are instances of sexual reference in this chapter, although nothing is actually described or stated.  Please read up to the portion marked "~|~|~|~" if you are uncomfortable with these references. Thank you***

Chapter 48:

Wedding crashers

Hours pass with the flow of conversation between people in my family, surrounded by one another at the dinner table. My parents shift over to converse with me and my siblings, a reunited family once more. Arwen, Aragorn, and Elrond speak quietly from seats away, as Tauriel and Kili converse with their two children, Ruelin and Typhon. The other Durin line of my aunt Palo and Fili have taken their children elsewhere in terms of speaking. Indeed, we all seem grouped as families once more, taking time to reminisce on our journeys and speak on our plans.

Little has occurred in regards to my parents over the time of Frerin and my leave. Other than preparing troops for battle, the two have lived as they ordinarily have, though more attention has been paid to Erebor's borders. In terms of the future, my father and mother will continue to rule over the dwarven kingdom, though Fili and Kili share the throne with my father. It is a new idea to have multiple kings, but with new times arising, it is only fitting. Besides, my cousins deserve their time on the throne.

When the conversation shifts to the preparations of Py's wedding, Frerin and I make quick work of fleeing the table with excuses of "full bladders" and "paperwork." I strongly doubt my parents believe either of these things, although they do not inhibit our escape given their similar feelings towards the topic. Indeed, they both despise the planning of such events, but in the case of their child, they put this aside.

What Frerin really goes off to do is write a letter to his fiancee back in Erebor. He spent a great deal of earlier digging for news of Bren from her father, Dwalin. And though the gruff dwarf is always hesitant to relinquish information, when it comes to his daughter, he is a gushy mess. Apparently, Bren has missed Frerin greatly (though we all expected this) but has been planning their wedding since then. This is an overjoying notion to Frerin's ears, seeing as he will now be promised to his One forever, and even before the wedding of Py. Looks like I will be the last again.

And thus, I find myself alone on the balcony of Minas Tirith, the sky clear from any sort of cloud or fog. The stars shine bright in the destruction of Sauron, comprising waves of sandy light across the midnight tapestry. With the moon full upon the sky, the night is brighter than usual, clearing the roads ahead, both mentally and physically. It seems as though all of nature is rejoicing in the freedom of Sauron's extinction.

I move to the very edge of the White Courtyard, passing a hand over the blossoms of Tree of Gondor as I pass. My footsteps clack across the marble ground, though I pay no mind to it as I breath in the warm air of the springtime. Toes leading me onward, I find myself at the very tip of the Court, leaning over the edge to look upon the massive drop and city below. A little laugh escapes my throat at the exhilarating view, though dizziness wraps my mind as I stand again.

Arms wrapping around my waist alert me to a man behind my back. But if I know anything from history, those arms belong to the one I love, finally at peace with the turn of his life. Boromir's arms shine as bright as my own in the pale moonlight, stemming from our golden blood which seeps below our skin. He pulls me tight against his chest as I relax into him, placing his chin softly on my head. With our great height difference, it's the perfect position to tuck me into his arms and under his jaw.

Looking back out at the view, I forget the prospect of future prosperity for a moment at the reminder of my duties. Now that the war is over, will Boromir and I be broken up? After all, I was the general of the Ereborian army before the war, splitting responsibilities with Frerin. And then there is Boromir, general of Gondor's troops, thousands of leagues away. My heart aches at the thought that we might be separated, not by Sauron, but by his extinction.