Chapter 44: White and Gold or Black and Blue?

Chapter 44:

White and Gold, or Black and Blue?

    The following morning's troubles are a stark reminder of why I never partook in the mischief of Frerin before this journey.  Like my father, he has a remarkable ability to get himself in the most awkward of circumstances, simply because he lacks forethought.  And though I pride myself on preparations for the unknown, my tired mind prevented me from recognizing what could become of this prank.  Now, I wish I had...

    What started as a simple prank turned into one of the greatest scars in my mind, as well as my parents'.  Frerin awoke me early in the dawn hour, pulling me from Boromir's arms before I could mutter a word or Boromir could awake.  I was barely able to grab a new shirt before entering into the outer hallways, forgetting shoes in Frerin's hustle to move.  I was tempted to question his motives, but knowing Frerin, his secrecy always leads to significant events.  If only I had known then...

    It was a simple plan really: pouring hair dye upon my father's hair so as to give it a purple tint.  It's not like Frerin has never done this before, having seen the many weeks in which my father had multi-colored hair and Frerin was punished with harp lessons.  But in each of those instances, no severe scarring happened to either party, and thus I wrote off this plan as working the same.

    The next step was sneaking into our parents' chambers, on loan from Aragorn but comfortable for this royal couple.  Seeing no guards posted at the door, the most concern was paid towards opening the door silently and with great caution towards the light shining from our skin.  The last thing we needed (at the time) was awaking them as we prepared to pour dye on my father's hair.  At least if we succeeded, we would not be punished for nothing.

    And thus, it was slow going as we made our way to their bedside, sensing nothing suspicious  as they were cuddled deep in the comforter of the bed.  Drawing dye from his pocket, Frerin readied himself for the completion of the prank.  But with the old room having been forgotten for many years, he could not help in breathing in the dust, and thus, the tendency to sneeze.  I saw it coming, but my muzzling of his mouth was not quick enough as he exclaimed a loud achoo that sounded through the room.

    There are certain things that children should never have to see, and thus, I will not go into detail.  Screams sounded from all parties, and I made quick work to run from the room with Frerin at my heals.  Taking quick corner turns, I avoided Dwalin who was moving in the opposite direction, though Frerin did voice a warning to him.  We raced through the halls in the greatest speed ever witnessed, attempting to outrun what we just saw.  But it is punishment for our plots, and thus, I can never forget that image.

    Panting as I arrive at Boromir's room, I close the door quickly as Frerin runs to hide in his own chambers.  Sliding down the door with my back pressed to the wood, I pay no attention to Boromir as he stands feet away, staring at me.  It is only when I feel his hand on my knee that I jump back, heart pounding so loud that the Shirefolk probably can hear it.  Boromir looks at me with an obvious question, but I just shake my head, wanting to avoid that discussion at all costs.  He leaves me be, turning around to change into new clothes.

    Giving him privacy, I open the door and step into the hallway, ensuring my own privacy.  Leaning against a wall, I take deep breaths in my final recovery from both the sprint and surprise of this dawn encounter.  Shaking my head at the images that immediately pop into my head, I look at Boromir as he moves from the room, adorning a nice tunic.

    "What is with the fancy get-up?" I ask, raising an eyebrow at the white tunic sewed with golden thread.  This is surely clothing that marks the importance of a date, and only emphasized by his nice pants and boots.  His hair looks newly brushed and his skin is clear from the previous night's happening.