Chapter 16: Their OTP

Chapter 16:

Their OTP

The night is one of great preparations and a struggling hope to the very step. The people of Rohan hope to survive another age upon this earth, and yet, we all feel the growing power of Mordor upon our chest. It's not a matter of whether or not the battle will occur, but if we'll be prepared. And thus, Gandalf is grumbling about the dilemma, deep in the shadows of the Golden Hall's balcony as I wipe off the remaining dirt from Freda's face before sending her away.

It isn't until I go about cleaning the children's' dinner that I notice Boromir staring at me, seeing as we are the only two people to inhabit the chamber. I quickly remove my gaze from his figure, cheeks heating up as I keep myself busy. Scuttling around does little to deviate the attention of the Gondorian, who is attracted to me like a fly to light. Maybe it was the close contact today that is keeping him interested, or maybe it's a deeper feeling.

"You're really great with children, you know," the man breaks the silence, prompting my eyes to meet his in surprise. I can feel my eyebrows furrow at the statement, questioning this conversation's intent, but taking great joy in his compliment.

"Thank you," I respond, sending him a warm and meaningful smile. "I enjoy their company and their childish innocence, although these two children had it so horrifically stolen from them."

"Will you--you know--ever settle down to create a family? Like after this journey?" Boromir asks, stumbling around with his words, much like Bilbo Baggins. If anything, this prompts further confusion on my part, as we now speak on a tangent of our current situation. This is not the time for familial or future discussions, and yet, I oblige his whim with a hearty response.

"I don't know about 'settling down,' but I want a family. Indeed, I see myself traveling with my children someday when the roads are safe from evil. Then again, I doubt this 'someday' will be anytime soon, seeing as I am a loner to this give moment," I tell him, speaking in potent truth. Never has any man expressed his interest in me, whether dwarf, elf, or human. Indeed, the only creature I have attracted was a strange little hobbit of the Shire. But of course, I hid from his company, quite literally, as I cowered behind Frerin.

"That's an idyllic vision and one of great familiarity with my own. I'm not meant to live a pastoral life of homeliness...I desire adventure," Boromir mirrors my own dream of the future, his eyes visibly swimming in the clouds.

"I guess that's another thing we have in common," I respond with a small smile, finally turning away and into a hallway to help prepare for our imminent trip. Boromir seems less than hesitant to follow after me, taking his own position in helping Aragorn.

The hour progresses quickly from thence forth, soldiers rushing about the great city of Edoras, servants wielding both blade and food, kings shouting commands with the every second, and the continued presence of Boromir by my side. I find my anxiety rising with the every beat of my heart, having an inborn dislike of crowds and panic. And to make things worse, I keep catching myself staring at the man of Gondor, as I help Ruelin pack blankets in the large and busy hall.

"You love him, don't you?" Ruelin asks as I whip my head away from a gaze at Boromir and to her attention. I can feel the cold air upon my eyes as they are widened to their greatest extent. And though I look guilty at the notion of her suggestion, which is true to the every word, I go about denying it like any good woman would.

"I don't know what I feel for him, though it is surely more than friendly," I respond, altering my gaze to the blanket I fold upon the ground, seeing no use to keep myself occupied in her teasing.