Chapter 50: Sugarcubes

Chapter 50:

Sugarcubes

~~~~One Week Later~~~~

The past week spent in Erebor has perhaps been the most amazing week of my life. Sure, there were the times in my childhood with weeks full of festivals and celebrations, nonetheless holidays. But now that Sauron is gone from these lands, cheer is higher, family is happier, and lights are brighter. It's as though the sun has come out from an eclipse of sixty years, wiping out all the negative manifestations across these lands. We are safe once more.

I have to thank Frerin in part for this happiness. The past week has been spent preparing for his wedding which will occur later today. Of course, Bren had set up much of the service before we arrived back home, but a great amount relied on my parents who only came back last week. Truly, Thorin and Erudian Oakenshield, my parents, are in over their head at the moment, with preparations for both Frerin and Pyrhhin's weddings in full swing.

And thus, I have been busy as well. Anything that does not demand the attention of my parents or the couples themselves is now shoved onto me, who is less than happy to oblige. But I never voice my complaints over my practical slavery, as both my siblings deserve their happiness and Boromir has been there to help me. Indeed, I do not think I could've done it without him.

From dawn to dusk, we've worked side-by-side in the numerous tasks allocated to me on a daily basis. Whether it was gathering flowers in the fields to delivering invites to the many leaders across Middle Earth, Boromir never left my side for a near second. But in this time, I've come to see this man in a new light. No longer is he only my One and my lover, but the man who may be my husband. After all, with marriage comes to numerous and serious tasks placed upon couples, and now that I've done all this with Boromir, I know that I want to marry him.

Today has been more merciful on the two of us, given that the preparations have been completed and all we have to do is prepare ourselves for the wedding this afternoon. But with this comes a whole new evil: dresses. To be sure, I have been forced into more dresses these past few months than in the near six decades of my life. It feels like for every slightly-formal occasion, I must wear a dress worthy of the elves. And thus, my closet is becoming more-and-more full with them.

Boromir and I are slow to motivate in our actions, having been exhausted by the travels of many days prior. We both practically slump to standing positions, wishing for nothing more than to sleep our tiredness off. But our exhaustion is helped by the fact we do not need to dress ourselves, having clothes that match the other chosen couples who will enter before Bren at the wedding. So while Boromir adorns a royal blue tunic, I have to wear a dress in the same color. You can probably guess who picked the color scheme.

It's just a matter of showering, really, that acts as the one trial of the day. Just like every day before it, Boromir tries to bathe with me, only for me to shove him out of the bathroom with slight laughter. And today is no different, though I am slightly grumpier and he is more determined to bathe. Today's excuse sounds slightly like "conserving the warm water," but I do not hear it clearly as I close and lock the door in his face.

After that whole ordeal, with him bathing after I am done, the day seems to flow out in peace and calm. Of course, upon exiting with my hand in Boromir's, the servants are still in a rush to prepare for the wedding. However, the family I have seen every day hence does not rush around with them, shouting all the while. I do not hear my father's loud commands, nor my mother's huffing of irritation. Pyrhhin is not looking for the tailor, and Frerin is not sprinting up and down the halls, looking for the chipmunks. Indeed, today is far more calm, and for that, I am grateful.