The Legacy - Part 1

The Legacy

J. Adams

  Revised Edition Copyright © 2019

First Edition Copyright © 2011

Jewel of the West Publishing

All Rights Reserved.

Cover design by Germancreative

Available at Amazon

http://thelegacysaga.weebly.com/

For all who were once victims,

But are now survivors.

May you all be blessed.

A higher power has charted the course for my life,

and my feet are set on that path.

Now, I will just be still.

Adagio St. John's Journal

Asheville, North Carolina

I am so tired, I can't move!

Dropping into a chair at one of the restaurant tables, I count the tips I've made for the night. Using a linen napkin, I wipe the remaining beads of perspiration from my forehead, grateful that my workday is over. It had been a very busy shift and I am pretty sure I have done well. After counting my cash and the tips left on credit card receipts, I smile. I have indeed done well, and just as I normally do after every shift, I silently thank the good Lord for blessing me with the money I need. Somehow, I am always able to reach my nightly goal.

After I pay my rent and buy some groceries, I will have a little money left to buy a new pair of shoes, which I desperately need. I need other things as well, but they will just have to wait.

One of my coworkers calls from behind the bar, "Cisely, you need a ride home?" I gratefully accept the offer. It saves me the taxi fare I would have to pay because there are no buses running late at night.

By the time I get to the small apartment I call home, I am so exhausted, I can barely get changed into my pajamas.

Slipping into bed, I turn out the light, hoping my tiredness is a good sign. Maybe I will be able to forgo the usual thoughts that haunt me, no matter how hard I try to keep them away. Maybe tonight I will have some peace. But as soon as I close my eyes, the familiar feelings of loneliness and doubt of my worth fill my heart once more.

Not tonight. I won't feel this way tonight.

Instead, I try to focus my final thoughts on a dream I had a week ago today. In the dream, I sat next a little boy on the bank of a beautiful river. He was young, but his emerald eyes were full of wisdom. He told me that because I have changed my life, new changes will soon come, and I will be blessed with great and marvelous things.

He said that God has a wonderful life prepared for me. And though I will still go through sorrow and great trials, I will one day come to experience joy unlike any I have ever known. He told me these things were promised to me before this life and will only be mine if I remain strong.

I have no idea what those changes will be. I only hope I will be ready for the future and everything that will come with it. I also hope I will be worthy of these wondrous gifts when they do come.