Chapter 8

It was already dark outside when I left school.

I hurried home, not wasting any time since I promised my father to cook together.

"I'm home" I yelled as I entered the house and took off my shoes.

"Welcome home, Mirae-shi"Ahjusshi greeted me.

I bowed as I saw him "Ahjusshi, is my father already home?"

"Not yet"

Just then my phone rang. "I'm going upstairs, Ahjusshi" I explained and picked up.

"Appa.. Where are you?" I asked as I ran up the stairs.

"I just left work. I'll be there in a while"

"Okay. I'm going to go out to buy some groceries. Do you need anything?"

"No, I don't, but Mirae, it's already dark outside. Ask Ahjusshi to go instead."

"No, it's fine" I insisted.

"Be careful, Mirae" he said. "Oh and Mirae.."

"Yes, Appa?"

"The person who arrives last has to wash up"

"Deal" I agreed and hung up.

I changed into a pair of black jeans and an oversize hoodie and ran downstairs.

"Ahjusshi, I'm going grocery shopping. Do you need anything?" I yelled as I took my phone, keys, and some money and threw them into my backpack.

"Should I drive you?" he yelled back from upstairs.

"No, thanks" I replied and slammed the door behind me. I took my bicycle from the garage and headed towards the nearest supermarket.

After picking some vegetables and putting them into the shopping basket, I went to the chocolate shelf and grabbed a few of my favorite chocolate bars. My mouth was already watering.

I walked quickly to the checkstand, paid for the groceries and stowed them away into my backpack.

I'm gonna win this bet for sure.

I exited the supermarket and got on my bicycle as I noticed something. A little child was sitting on the bench in front of the supermarket, looking down on his feet. He seemed so sad.

I got off my bike and seated myself next to him.

"The weather is nice, isn't it?" I turned my head to the little boy next to me.

He hiked his shoulders.

"Are you alone here?" I slipped a little closer to him.

"I'm waiting for my brother" he replied.

"Oh okay" I was about to leave as the boy confirmed that he wasn't alone.

"Hyung promised to go to the playground with me"

I sat back down as I heard him speaking.

"But he didn't?" I furrowed.

"No"

"Hey, should I tell you something?" I asked him excitedly.

"What?" he looked up to face me.

"The best medicine for sadness is chocolate."

I opened my backpack, took two chocolate bars out and handed him one of those. His eyes widened and he bowed gratefully. I gave him a warm smile and patted his head.

Both of us were eating our chocolate bars peacefully, sitting on the bench.

I checked my watch and accepted the fact that I already lost the bet to my father.