Chapter 17

"Mirae" I heard mother's gentle voice calling me.

I put my doll aside and went to the kitchen, where mother was waiting for me.

Mother crouched down to match my height, "Appa is going to be a little late today," she smiled, "Is it okay if the two of us start celebrating your birthday?"

I smiled sadly, "Okay."

She took my hand and led me to our tiny living room. The room was decorated with a small poster marked 'Happy Birthday Mirae!', a few balloons and a cake standing in the centre of the room.

Mother and I sat down on the sofa.

"Happy birthday, you little punk" mother said as she handed me an envelope.

"Again?" I said a little annoyed.

Mother used to give me a letter every year on my birthday. She told me not to read those letters unless I felt lost or scared.

"You don't deserve my heartfelt letters."

"Don't be so sulky, eomma. I was just joking" I said as I did a little bit aegyo.

"Aigooooo" mother pinched my cheek, "My daughter's already nine years old. You grow so fast."

"Just wait, eomma. I'm going to grow a little bit faster and become an adult. I'm going to buy you a big house, a big car and a lot of gifts" I said confidently as I smiled.

"Aigoo, you little punk. Don't say such things," mother hit my arm lightly "I'm happy like this. I even have a perfect daughter."

I chuckled as my mother embraced me, "Yeah, you do, eomma."

"So, my perfect daughter," mother loosened the hug and looked down to me, "What do you want to play?"

"Hide and seek!" I exclaimed excitedly.

"You're counting!" mother said as she stood up.

I closed my eyes and started counting. 

89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95,96, 97, 98, 99, 100.

"Ready or not, here I come" I said as I opened my eyes.

Our apartment was tiny. Mother didn't have a lot of places to hide.

I sneaked into the kitchen, but there was no trace of mother. Afterwards I checked the bathroom and my room. Mother was definietly in her and father's bedroom.

I opened the door carefully.

My eyes widened. I tried to screetch, but I lost my voice, as if I was dumb.

Mother was lying on the ground, in a lake of blood.

I rushed to her side and kneeled down next to her. Tears were flowing down my cheeks.

She opened her mouth to say something, but she was dumb. Just like me.

"Run away" she mouthed.

"I'll take good care of your mommy" I heard a deep man's voice behind me. My eyes widened once again as I felt a vigorous hand caressing my hair from the back.

I didn't dare turning around.

"Why don't you close your eyes for a few minutes?" the man said.

I disobeyed and kept on looking at my mother.

"I told you to close your eyes!" the man's voice became stern and I felt sudden pain in my head.

~~~

"I'm sorry" I heard someone sobbing.

I opened my eyes, but my vision was still blurry.

Someone was holding my hand. It was Father.