to serve and protect (mature)

A/N: this is a modern AU featuring Fili (police officer) and Kili ( college student)- they are not related in any way at all...so no incest. Also I dont truly know anything about how the law deals with crimes and witnesses so forgive any errors.

*Autumn Evening-late evening*

Officer Filip  Durinson aka "Fili" closed the door on his squad car to walk into the convience store to get himself a cup of coffee...noticing as he walked in a small group of students from the local university standing around. Officer Fili didnt really pay attention to the kids..his mind was wandering as he walked in, heading over to the machine emitting that intoxicating aroma. The first inclination he had of something wrong was the cashier who was sweating profusely and looking worried.

"Hey kid...you ok? You dont look well man." Fili leaned in closer to the clerk...the mans eyes shifted to the side towards the group of men who he began to notice was starting to surround him from behind. Fili quickly reached towards his gun , slowly unlatching  the clip so he could draw quickly if needed...he turned around to face the guys there. His eyes swiftly scanned them with his trained eyes..noticing a couple of them wearing sweaters saying * Erebor University* emblazoned across the front..the others wearing hoodies of various dark colors. Now that he was looking at them he could see that they were really unsavory looking..except for one of them who looked so out of place amongst them that it was very apparent  he was not with these men.

 For some reason this guy caught Filis eye...he was young looking, maybe around his 20s, dark hair that was caught up in a messy bun, and clothes that were a bit wrinkled as if he had haphazardly thrown them on...bottom line, this kid was a college student. Fili knew he had to get things settled before it got out of hand and someone got hurt. There was five of them..not including the young guy...and they all had a mean look in their eyes as they approached . The two on the end both had mousy brown hair and beady looking eyes..the other two on the other side had dishwater blond hair and their eyes were dark. All four of these men were flanking a taller man who appeared to be the leader...he had red hair and menacing brown eyes...he smiled coldly at Fili.

"Hello lads. Is there a problem here?" Their smiles were not comforting. "I suggest boys, you go home and get some sleep. You dont want to cause trouble now and chance getting a record, do you?" Fili saw the dark haired kids eyes getting scared for some reason as he was trying to move away from the five guys...stopping as red hair saw him and growled.

"No problem officer...we were just leaving...right boys?" the other guys laughed, it didnt ease Filis uneasy feeling in his gut...watching the red hair guy grabbing the dark hair by his shirt to pull him along with them...he obviously didnt want to go ,but he made no sound to say otherwise...Fili had to let him go. He slightly relaxed when they walked towards the door and he turned back to the clerk to reassure him..the only warning he had was a a shout from the dark haired kid.

"Watch out!" on pure instinct Fili ducked in time..the bullet missing him..hitting his radio that was on his shoulder, destroying it and slamming into the poor clerk, killing him dead. Fili dove to the side as he unholstered his side arm and took aim at the guys..seeing guns in their hands as the student struggled to get away from the leaders hold and being struck across the face... leaving a red mark upon his cheek. Fili ducked behind a row of shelves to use as a shield between him and the gunmen...he knew he was in trouble..not enough bullets in his gun..his radio was shot, so no way to call for back up and of all times for his partner to be sick...this had to happen.

"Give up boys. You cant get away with this..you know that." he tried to sound far more confident than he felt. Some of the men were throwing things around..making alot of noise..it seemed they were doing it to conceal the approach of the main guy. Suddenly Fili felt a gun pressed to his head and his heart stopped at the touch of the cold metal against his temple. He heard the hammer pulling back and he closed his eyes, knowing he was about to die. There was a scream ~NO!~ as the gun went off..feeling the heat as the bullet skimmed by leaving a burn from the heat of its exit upon his forehead. He noticed the dark haired guy trying to wrestle with the larger red haired guy to get the gun away..Fili grabbed his taser and tazed him to save the young man. The larger man screamed as he went down to the ground...hearing the click of guns being cocked , he grabbed the young kid...racing for the back of the store where there was doors..hoping for safety.