A/N: For everyone who hesitates on commenting on fics

I saw this post shortly ago on a friends tumbler and it made me sit up , taking notice. I realized after reading it that I was one of those people guilty of doing just this very thing. I vote on the stories I like but I fail to comment..using one excuse after another for why I don't. I am ashamed of this and I vow from here on out to try and correct this writers error. I realize how we all forget how much a simple word means to a writer...we all yearn to hear how much people appreciate what we do and when we do hear it , it makes our hearts feel lighter and places a smile there that then reflects into our everyday life and works. So here is the post I saw...

:

:

:

:

:

:

Today I got a reply to a comment saying that the author had been so discouraged by the lack of response on the last two chapters that they had decided not to finish it, but that they had changed their mind and were now thinking of finishing. Just because I took 30 seconds to comment on each chapter.

It doesn't matter if the fic is years old

It doesn't matter if you don't know what to say ("I loved this" is always music to an author's ears, no matter how many times we hear it)

The author will not think you're a creeper if you're commenting on every single one of their fics

The author WILL cuddle your comments close to their hearts like the precious gems that they are, even if they're only one word.

Comments and feedback matter. I've written in fandoms and for pairings that have very active, vocal fans who comment a lot, and I've written for ships that are not terribly popular and don't get much reaction. The difference in my attitude is incredible.

Your feedback matters to authors. Click the kudos button, but please, take the time to leave a comment. Even if it's just one word. If you like the writing and want to see more, let the author know

/rant

yes yes yes yes yes yes

Comments always warm my heart. And I'm sure that's universal.

Every comment makes an author's heart sing.

Literally cannot stress this enough. TELL authors you love their fics.

i mean obviously if you don't wanna comment, don't, it's your life. but if you like a fic and don't comment you can't act surprised that a writer doesn't know you appreciate their work when you didn't actually tell them. that's just the way things are. silent support by definition won't be noticed in an influential way.

Every word is absolute truth. We do this because we love it. If you like all the words we write, offer a few of your own in return. They are gold.

A/N: This is dedicated to eldrichmage a fantastic writer that I believe everyone should read.  http://eldritchmage.tumblr.com/

check out her tumbler account and pause to read her story Season of Light and Shadow on archiveofourown. It's about a ballet dancer named Thranduil who meets a metal artist named Bard one cold day and their worlds collide  as  they artistically weave it into a tapestry telling of a romantic love story between them and their four children.