Chapter Seventeen

Riley's POV

Today was Tuesday, it's been two days since Brooke and I hung out. We haven't really talked much since then. Both of us were super busy with soccer and classes. We texted often, but most conversations were meaningless.

The team and I are warming up for our game today. It's against my school's rivals, the Hawks. That's a pretty basic mascot if I do say so myself. We were doing our regular stretches, high knees, sprints, opening and closes the gates, it stretches your inner thigh muscles, and we stretched out our ankles.

Brooke was in the goal, and coach was throwing soccer balls at her, mostly for diving. About 8 minutes later coach Steven called us all over to the side line, letting us know we had about 10 minutes until the game started.

I walked up to Brooke, "Hey, you ready to kick some ass?" I spoke excitedly.

She giggled, "I'm ready to block some balls." We both laughed.

The other team started jogging around the field towards us, someone caught my eye. When they all started getting closer, my heart dropped. It was her. She had to play for this team.

"Riley? What's wrong."

"She's here."

"Who? Who's here?" I could answer, because the devil himself, or rather herself, stopped, and noticed me.

"Riley?!"

"Mia."

"I didn't know you came to this school, I knew you moved, but I didn't expect to see you here." There was tone in her voice.

"I didn't expect to see you here either." Please just jog away now.

"And who's this?" She was referring to Brooke who was still standing next to me.

"I'm Brooke." She held out her hand. Don't do that, unless you want to lose a finger.

Mia didn't take her hand, "This your new girlfriend?" Oh boy, here we go.

"No-."

"Why does it matter?" Brooke, don't start this.

Mia scoffed, "Well, I am her ex, I guess it really doesn't matter, but if I were you I'd watch out, Riley is, something else." Her eyes met mine, and I thought I was going to die right here, her stare itself, ripped my heart apart.

Brooke rolled her eyes, and in response Mia leaned towards her, I was unable to hear what Mia was saying, but I knew it wasn't good. Brooke's posture changed a bit, as if she was uncomfortable. What are you saying to her Mia.

Mia stood back up straight, and her coached yelled at her, she turned around and jogged off, not even saying a goodbye. Her pale skin and crow black hair, getting more distant by the second, memories flashing back into my mind.

"Uh, I'm gonna, uh, go talk to coach." Something was really wrong.

"Brooke, what did she say to you." I sternly said.

"Nothing, I'll talk to you later." I turned back to where Mia had just ran off to a second ago, and found her staring back, I could barely see her face, but I saw the smirk on her face, a smirk I would not forget.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We were all into position, me being right forward, I was just outside the circle. The Hawks had the ball first. With my luck so far, it got even better, the devil was standing in front of me.

"What's up cutie? You ready to lose? Cute girlfriend by the way, it would be too bad if she caught a ball with that pretty face of hers." I rolled my eyes.