Chapter Thirty Four

Riley's POV
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The ball goes towards the goal. It goes to the right, low. It feels like time slows as I'm watching the ball roll to the goal.

My heart stops. The ball hits the pole and bounces back towards me.

The screams of the girls on the other team were deafening.

I look around at all of the shocked faces, the people that thought I was going to make it in. Hell the other team thought I was going to make it in.

Their face was as shocked as the others. When I turned around, I only wanted to find Brooke's. I wonder how disappointed she is.

She wasn't mad, or disappointed. Her expression was soft. I knew she was okay with it, she didn't care.

With my coach yelling at all of us and the other girls cheering, I walked up to Brooke and hugged her.

She whispered into my ear, "It's okay Riley. You did amazing the whole game. You got us this far."

"But I also blew it."

"No one is perfect. You can't do everything right."

We had to break our hug to huddle into the group by our coach.

He spoke the usual words when losing a game. 'You guys worked as hard as you could', 'it was a good game'.

I kind of dosed off, I didn't want to hear his inspirational speech.

Coach let us leave right after, but I didn't want to just yet.

I grabbed my soccer ball and jogged onto the field to take PK's.

One after the other, until no one was around anymore, but there's always one person.

I felt her presence, but ignored it until she walked onto the field.

"Riley..." Brooke's voice calmed me immediately.

I took one more shot before grabbing my ball and walking up to her.

She will had her uniform on, no doubt stayed by the bleachers until I was finished.

I didn't speak. "Let's go do something?" I quietly nodded.

"Okay, go home. I'm gonna go home too and change. I'll be over in about 30 minutes?"

"Okay." She softly smiled. Brooke leaned in and kissed my cheek. "I'll see you in a bit."

Being the person she is, she made sure I went to my car and got in.

We were most likely going to a party, everybody usually does after any game.

I hopped in the shower, my dad of course was not home. He probably had to work late, he has been lately.

I had already set out my clothes before getting into the shower. I chose a black and white striped muscle tee, tan cargo jeans, and black high top vans.

As she said before, Brooke was at my house almost exactly 30 minutes later.

She was wearing a plain white tee, with a leather jacket and simple jeans. She had combat boots to match.