Chapter 1

London England, 1868

Jewel stared at herself in her vanity, her hair was a curly mass of rebellion on top of her head. It refused to be cooperative. She grabbed her brush and proceeded to brush through her curly black hair, sighing in frustration when her hair, which reached the middle of her back, curl right back up again. She threw her brush back onto her vanity and stood, her red dress gleaming. She examined her herself fully before frowning. Her new red dress was quite simply beautiful and she ran her hands down the sides of her body in agreement to how it fit her. But her hair through everything off.

She groaned and grabbed her skirt in her hands and turned, putting one foot in front of the other. As she stomped through the door she bumped into her brothers,  jumping back as the two boys nearly ran over her feet.

"Andrew, Aidan stop running in the house!"

 Her thirteen year old twin brothers turned and stuck their tongues out at her as they continued to chase after each other, laughter flying from their youthful lips.

She shook her head at them as she watched them race through rooms and down corridors. She turned and bumped into her brother, looking up and meeting the eyes of her twin brother. Her mother had been blessed with not just one pair of twins but two.

Her brother, Adam Jr. raised a brow at her. His caramel colored eyes, the same as her own, held laughter in them. "What's in god's name is wrong with your head?"

She scowled at her older brother, briskly walking past him in search of their mother. She found no humor in her hairs appearance. He followed after her, a chuckle on his lips.

"Don't be angry with me, you have to admit your hair is a bit out of control."

"Leave me alone Adam! Where's mum?" She snapped at him irritably.

He burst into full on laughter before grabbing her from behind and hugging her close, his curly black shoulder length hair tickling her cheeks.

"Give off me you twit!" She barked at him, only evoking more laughter from him.

"Not until you tell me you're not angry with me." He said playfully, his voice sounding just like their father's.

She struggled for a moment, trying to break free of his embrace. "Oh, fine! I'm not angry with you!"

He planted a wet, sloppy kiss against her cheek and she shrieked, "Ew! Adam stop it!"

He released her and she wiped at her cheek before smacking her brother's on the chest, a giggle on her lips. "Enough already, tell me where mum is!"

A smile danced on her brother's lips, they really were much too similar, from their honey colored complexion to their curly unmanageable hair. Though unruly hair only managed to make her brother look rugged and rouge like, it merely made her look as if she had just rolled out of bed.

"She's in the lounge, resting."

Jewel's eyes widened at that, "Is father still home?"

Adam Jr. shook his head, thinking the same thing she was. Their father would be furious if he found out their mother wasn't in bed.

She turned on her heel and continued onto the lounge, her brother following behind her.

"Mum, you should be in bed." Jewel scolded as she stepped into the lounge, making a beeline for her mother.

"I'm fine, I was just a little tired, you know how your father overreacts."

Her mother opened her arms wide and Jewel fell into them, enjoying the warmth of her mother's arms. Their mother was beautiful, her brown skin the color of melted chocolate.