Chapter 12

"Slow down!" She said as she stumbled yet again.

He paused and she bumped into him. She was breathing hard. Sweat pebbling her forehead. They had been walking for what felt like forever. The bottom of her feet was raw. Her legs ached from straining to keep up.

Before she could be glad that they had stopped he pulled her along again. She gritted her teeth, limping after him. "Emile...please my feet are so sore."

He continued to ignore her pulling her into a store. He wrapped an arm around her shoulder and pulled the hat on her head down low, covering her caramel colored eyes and long lashes.

"I need a pair of work boots, my cabin boy always seems to ruin his." Emile suddenly said, his story almost convincing.

The store clerk merrily chuckled, "You got to keep your crew in check! But needn't you worry, I got myself a pair of boots that'll last your cabin boy years!"

Jewel tried to lift her head but Emile pushed it back down. She frowned but she didn't feel like fighting again. The clerk owner returned a small pair of black laceless boots in hand.

"These was the smallest pair I got, your cabin boy's feet just look too small."

Emile shook his head, a smile on his lips. "They're fine, truly they are."

He took them from the clerks hand and handed him the money he priced them as.

With that Emile pulled her from the store and immediately got down on his knees. "Lift your leg."

She did as he said, surprised at his sudden gentleness. He slid the boots onto her bare feet before standing up. "No more complaining now." He scolded.

She stared up at him from beneath her long lashes. How could he be so terribly mean one moment to extremely gentle the next? She did not know but chose to defy him nonetheless.

"I have rights...and if I choose to complain than I shall, " she mumbled defiantly.

He raised a brow, "That mouth of yours..."

She raised her chin. Her eyes meeting his head on. A steely glaze in her glare.

He sighed, grabbing her hand again and pulling her forward.

"Where are we going?" She asked curiously, breathlessly.

"To get information."

His answer was vague and it left her filled with confusion. She furrowed her brows in thought but before she could delve further into his words, they were suddenly in front of a tavern. Her eyes widened and she looked up at him. There was determination on his handsome face, his eye gleaming with a firm resolution.

"You can't take me in there!" She shouted, catching his attention.

He looked down at her, tilting his head. "Why not?"

"It's a...it's a tavern!"

"And?"

"You wouldn't dare take me into such a place!"

"Wouldn't I?"

"Have you lots your sanity! I've heard awful stories about drunken fights and half naked women...dear, god...have you no wits!"

He shrugged, "What would you have me do with you then?"

"Take me back to the bloody ship, I don't care but don't take me in there!"

"Maybe I should take you to an inn, would that please you, angel?"

Her eyes grew hopeful...if she could just get him to leave her she could find the police station. Contact her father and go home. The thought was enough to have her eyes sparkling with renewed resolve. "Yes, that would please me!"