Chapter 17

Emile raced into the inn and past the front desk. Every step he took placed him closer and closer to Jewel. And when he finally made it to the room he froze.

Standing in the doorway was a man holding a gun, a sinister smile on his face. "I was wondering when you were going to get here."

Emile said nothing instead choosing to acknowledge that this man was Jacques's henchman. "Where is the girl that occupied this room?"

Armand laughed darkly. "You'll see her in due time. You're not happy to see me?"

"Where is she?"

"Impatient aren't you?" Armand chuckled though his voice was devoid of humor. "Alright be a good boy and come with me. And don't try anything, remember what I have."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are you okay?" Adam asked Jewel as she groaned against the ropes tied around their wrist. Jewel stopped struggling and sighed, leaning against the wall behind her. Armand had brought them to a small dilapidated house, locking them into a dark and damp room. The house was tiny, in an area of mass poverty. Mold was on the walls, water leaked from multiple areas of the ceiling. The floor was dusty, cold, and bare.

"No, I'm not okay! I was so close to going home...could things get any worse?" She moaned angrily.

Adam gave her a weird look before tugging his wrist along the material of the rope. "Don't worry, I promised I'd get you home safely and that's what I intend to do. Though I am rather surprised at how well you're taking all of this, I must say."

She glanced at her brother suspiciously, the tone of his voice catching her attention. "What are you going to do?"

He didn't answer. 

"Adam, don't you dare do anything stupid!"

He continued to strain against the rope, ignoring her completely.

"Adam!" She snapped at her brother.

Suddenly frustrated beyond belief he turned in her direction and snapped back, "What?"

"Don't do anything stupid! I want to go home but not at the expense of your life you idiot!"

Adam sighed, scooting closer to her, kissing her hair. "Alright, I understand don't start crying again. I don't think I can bare your tears now."

She scowled at that. "Oh, bug off! Does it look like I'm about to cry?"

He chuckled mischievously, "I can hear it in your voice actually."

She sent a glare his way before closing her eyes and leaning against his shoulder, she knew what he was doing. He was trying to distract her from what was happening. But even riling her up wasn't going to help the situation at hand.  

The door suddenly burst open and Jewel sat up. Her eyes widened as her eyes locked with Emile's. Rage, red and burning exploded within her as he was pushed into the room. Armand walked in behind him, a pistol firmly in hand.

He cocked his gun, poking it into Emile's side, "Say farewell to each other."

Armand pushed Emile further into the room before walking out and slamming the door behind him. Emile immediately moved toward Jewel, reaching for her.

She lashed out just as his fingers brushed her skin. She kicked him square in the stomach. "You bloody idiot! You left me! You weren't even going to tell me goodbye!"

He grunted but pulled her up against him regardless of her violent thrashing. "Je suis desole, mon ange."

She narrowed her eyes at him. "I hate you." She spat.