Chapter 14

It was the sound of merry laughter and drunken rants that woke her. Jewel sat up, rubbing her sleep filled eyes. She looked down. Emile lying comfortably on his side, soft snores emanating from his parted lips. A frown crossed her lips for a moment as she stared at his sleeping frame.

The laughter she heard grew and she couldn't help the curiosity that bubbled within her. She turned, reaching for the curtain that covered the window hovering above the bed. She peaked outside and her eyes widened.

There were two men walking through the street. Two familiar looking men. She stared at the men as they staggered slightly. As she continued to stare it suddenly dawned on her. It was the men from the dock. The men who ruined her escape!

She sat up in bed watching as the men stopped as if waiting for someone or something. She furrowed her brows in confusion. What could they possibly be waiting for?

She shifted on the bed once more but froze as she felt moisture run down her leg. Jewel gasped as she turned in the bed and was greeted with the sight of blood running down her inner thigh. Before she could stop herself she laughed with relief and triumph. Her monthly time had come and never had she been more thrilled to see it.

Emile suddenly stirred and looked up at her, his hair messy and falling forward onto his forehead. He ran a hand through his hair and sat up, the covers spilling across his nakedness.

At the sound of her continued laughter he frowned. "What's so funny, woman?" He asked, his voice deeper.

She glanced in his direction before laughing harder. "It's come! My one defense against you and your lust!"

He raised a brow. "And this defense is?"

She pointed to her inner thigh and sent a smug look his way.

He frowned. "How long will this last?"

"Do you honestly think I would tell you?"

He climbed out of bed, shrugging his shoulders absentmindedly. "I am a patient man, mon ange. I will give you a week."

She groaned tossing a pillow at his back. "You frustrating man!"

He chuckled before moving toward the connecting bathroom. Little did she know that he would be content to merely hold her in his arms at night.

She frowned as he returned carrying a thick washcloth. She didn't think twice as he handed her cloth, placing it between her legs and reaching for her discarded clothing. She quickly dressed and resumed her spot by the window, the men still standing idly in the street.

"Jewel?" Emile said her name curiously, finding the seriousness in her gaze amusing as she stared out the window. She didn't answer him though, much to occupied with the happenings outside the inn. He pulled his clothing on before approaching her and looking down into the street below.

"What are you looking...at...," his words trailed off as he spotted the men.

Rage suddenly exploded across his face and he snatched her away from the window. She went to struggle against him but froze at the expression on his face. "Put your boots on."

"Why?" She whispered.

The look he gave her had her instantly moving to slip into her boots. Once she had them on he grabbed her wrist and pulled her forward, moving toward the door with long angry strides. She stayed silent as he continued toward the exit, walking past the front desk.

He stopped at the door and reached into one of his boots, pulling out a gun. Jewel's eyes widened as she watched him settle the gun comfortably in his hand, a murderous glint in his eye. "Stay behind me."