Chapter 16

Jewel opened her eyes to find herself alone. A bandage wrapped around the crook of her neck and her chest. She struggled to sit up in the bed, the rooms familiarity diminishing without Emile's presence.

"Emile?" She groaned out, her mouth dry.

Still there was no response and panic slowly began to bubble inside her. She raised a hand and gripped the bed post in her hands, trying to pull herself. She groaned at the pain that shot through her at the strain.

She plopped back onto the bed and with frustration she slapped the pillow beside her. "Emile?"

Silence greeted her.

The panic she felt exploded inside her and she choked on a sob. Suddenly afraid of being alone. Suddenly afraid of being without the one man that infuriated her.

"This isn't funny!" She snapped at the quietness around her. Deep down she knew he gone and instead of her being happy to be free all she felt was a growing heartache. Tears began to build in her eyes and despite the obvious she called out to him again.

Tears raced down her cheeks and she ran a hand through her unruly hair, a sob passing her lips. Sadness seemed to fill her to the core and she cried into her hands. How could he leave her so easily?

She suddenly so confused. Why did it hurt so much? Why did the thought of never seeing his arrogant smiles and feeling the warmth of his hands hurt so much? Why wasn't she happy?

She could finally go home. She could finally see her family again. Though going home sent a shock of giddy excitement through her...there was still that single pang of emptiness settling inside her.

She wiped at her tears, resolve hitting her. She would not cry over that...that...barbarian! She would not waste her tears on that idiotic pirate.

The door burst open and her eyes widened as she met a pair of caramel colored eyes. A pair of eyes that were a reflection of her own. "Adam!"

She grabbed the bed post and pulled herself up, ignoring the pain and running toward her twin brother.

Adam did the same, nearly bulldozing her as he squeezed her in his arms. He picked her up off the floor and held her close. She wrapped her arms around his neck and the flood gates opened again.

"Jewel! God, I've missed you!" Adam mumbled against her hair.

A sob broke past her parted lips and she buried her face in his curly black hair. "You've missed me? Oh, Adam I've missed you more than you will ever know!" She cried.

Adam spun her around before squeezing her tighter. She winced as her wound suffered the brunt of his bear hug but she didn't care.

He slowly lowered her onto her feet and grabbed her face in his hands, ruffling her hair.

She stared up at her brother, her eyes shinning with moisture. "How did you find me?"

He furrowed his brows in confusion. "I received a letter weeks ago with this Inn's address. I've been on a ship headed here for the last week."

Her eyes widened. Weeks ago?  "What do you mean... you received a letter weeks ago?"

Adam frowned, "We received a missive saying you would be here. We thought you sent it? I thought it was from you. We all thought it was from you."

Silence passed between them for a moment. Tears pricked her eyes once more. He had kept his word, he had been planning on sending her home the whole time. He had been planning on sending her home this week. She released a sob and Adam reached for her, hugging her close. She wanted to scream and curse, that bastard hadn't even said goodbye!