Flashbacks

The rest of the day ended up running pretty smoothly. They laughed about and drank butterbeer and watched Seamus try to impress the girls in the booth to the side. It looked as though it was going relatively well.

Hermione had a lovely day, the attacks still sat firmly in her mind but she was able to convince herself that the ministry would find out who did it and they would be punished adequately.

It was late in the afternoon and they were sitting in The Three Broomsticks drinking what would be their last butterbeer of the day. Luna and Neville had gone for a walk around the village together. Harry and Ginny had started upon an old argument and Ron sat at the table with Hermione, the both of them feeling slightly awkward.

“So when are we to meet this girl you’ve been sneaking about with?” Hermione leaned over to Ron with a little smile and he took a breath in, his eyes widening. “Oh come on, it’s just me.”

She had hoped that maybe they could get straight back to being friends and it seemed like finally things were looking up for them.

“Well, actually, I… well, maybe next week then, when we have some time.” His cheeks flushed a little.

“So what’s she like then? Is she in our year?”

“Steady on.” Ron looked taken aback but he seemed quite happy that someone was asking him.

“Oh don’t be so reserved.” She smiled.

“Well, she’s in Ravenclaw, and yeah, she’s our year. Her name’s Katherine but she… she likes Kate.” He smiled a little and started to talk more about her.

Hermione smiled warmly as she listened, he seemed to like her quite a lot.

When the pub began to get quiet, Dean and Seamus came back over to the booth and sat down.

“No luck?” Hermione asked.

“It was fine.” Dean said through gritted teeth.

“Go ahead, you go on and tell them what happened.” Seamus was positively beaming while Dean just rolled his eyes.

“I don’t know why you think it’s so funny.”

“Oh I know you do.” Seamus laughed.

“What’s going on then?” Ron asked, his interest peaking.

“They both wanted to know if I wanted to see them again, both of ‘em.” He was grinning again and everyone around the table laughed, all except Dean.

“Yeah, yeah, well don’t let it go to your head.” Dean said, rolling his eyes again.

“Bit late for that don’t you think?” Ron chuckled.

They all knew that they were due back at the castle soon and so they downed the last of their butterbeer and headed back. Seamus was very clearly happy with himself and Dean was sulking. Harry and Ginny weren’t talking, for one reason or another, and it seemed the only two who were acting like themselves were Ron and Hermione.