More Finality

Okay guys, here it is. Sorry to keep you in a bit of suspense, it had to be done!

                                                               ~ ~ ~

Hermione sat alone on the stairs as Madame Pomfrey attended to some of the students’ minor wounds and abrasions. She felt numb in her entire body. It couldn’t be happening. This wasn’t how it was supposed to be.

She had pleaded for what felt like so long for him to come back to her. She screamed and kicked when Ron pulled her away and held her so that they could take his body up to the infirmary until something else could be done.

She fought so hard against him but Ron wouldn’t let her go.

The ministry had apprehended some of the death eaters, but not enough. Only six of them were caught. The rest of them, including Pansy, Blaise and Mulciber, got away. They must have left the grounds and apparated.

The ministry didn’t seem too upset about Draco’s death, in fact, they seemed to think it was probably for the best.

“A boy like that would never find a proper job, not after everything.” One of them had said.

Why had he done that? Why did he have to save her? Her eyes were sore from the tears and so far Luna has been the only one to come and sit by her. She didn’t say anything; she just sat there by her side and rested her head against Hermione’s shoulder for a while before getting up and walking away.

What felt like forever had really only been a few hours but it was a few hours since Draco’s death. If this was what it was going to feel like from now on then she didn’t know if she could take it.

The look in his eyes when it happened wouldn’t leave Hermione’s mind. It was like they were saying I love you, something he had only said the once but she knew that if he could say one last thing, that would be it.

She had an ache in the pit of her chest where she had loved him. It was like an angry clawing beast that would not stop and she feared that it would never do so.

As she stared off into the empty space ahead she heard someone sit down by her side. She looked over to see Ron sitting next to her and giving her a feeble smile. She turned away again and he cleared his throat.

“I uh… I just wanted to see how you were doing.” He said softly.

She just sighed and tried to stop any more tears from falling.

“I um, I also wanted to say sorry for not being more… supportive of… everything yesterday.” He said.

“You don’t have to apologise. I didn’t think your reaction would be any better. But it doesn’t matter now.” She sniffed and turned even further away so that he couldn’t see the tear fall.