What Lies Inside

“Do you have to leave?” Draco’s fingers traced hers as she sat on the edge of the bed.

She smiled as she pulled her jacket back over her shoulders. “I have to get back to my dormitory. I have an early class tomorrow. We could meet by the lake at lunch and I could help you with a few spells… if you like.” Her cheeks flushed that familiar rosy red and Draco felt that light feeling in his stomach.

“I would.”

“Good I was thinking we could start with what we’re learning now and go back to-”

Draco laughed and she looked slightly embarrassed. “Sorry, I- you’re just sweet, that’s all.”

She leant over and gave him a soft kiss that he felt couldn’t have lasted more than a moment.

“I’ll see you for lunch, okay?” And with a gleeful smile she left the room.

He lay his head back and closed his eyes. He was smiling wider than he has in a long time. Could things finally be going his way? Did he, Draco Malfoy, finally get the girl? The perfect girl?

In his mind he traced the outline of her face, her rosy cheeks and full smiling lips. Her warm brown eyes just sparkled when she looked at him and he couldn’t believe his luck. Things were finally going his way.

As Hermione crept through the common room and up to her dormitory she has a slight bounce in her step. He was turning out to be such a beautiful person, something she never would have expected. Her hand reached automatically for the pendant he gave her. Underneath his cold exterior and all the hatred he had projected was a kind and sweet man struggling to get through the world.

Maybe he could get along with Harry and Ron… Hermione scoffed to herself. He wasn’t that different, neither were they for that matter. They were all so arrogant and proud when it came to something like that. Draco would never admit to them that he knew what he had done was wrong, and the other two would never let him forget it.

She sighed. This was how it had to be if she wanted to keep them all.

At least Luna wouldn’t judge, but then again, she was the most understanding person that Hermione knew. When she headed up to her bed she collapsed in the cold sheets and almost wished that she hadn’t left the room of requirement.

Draco headed back to the dungeons with his usual cocky smile on his face with his head held high. He gave the password to the painting and headed into the dimly lit common room. He slumped in the armchair he had claimed as his own and grinned.

“There you are, you’re impossible to find lately.” A chill washed over him and he sighed.

“Maybe that’s a sign to stop looking.” He grumbled.

“Ha-ha, stop whining.” She lay back down on his lap and he turned away from her eager lips.