e i g h t

The next morning, the first thing my eyes fell upon was again the crumpled sweater. I hopped out of my bed excited, feeling light and energetic. I slid into the lounge on my socks, where Kayla sat on her laptop.

She took one look at me and laughed, "Look Fee, you can straighten your hair, but you can't straighten your sexuality. I always knew you liked me," she joked.

"Shut up, it was for a video," I respond, pouring some coffee.

She got up from the couch, pouring more coffee for herself, "Do you fear my queer, Fee?" she asked and I laughed.

"I'm kidding," she said, slapping my ass as she walked to the fridge, "You're as straight as they come. Besides, you're too hung up on one particular man," she winked.

I laughed and poured a cup of coffee for myself, watching Kayla make some eggs. "I know what I want to do today," Kayla declared, dropping her spatula.

I rolled my eyes, Kayla always comes up with the most ridiculous adventures. She never fails to keep me on my toes.

"What?" I mused, taking a sip of coffee.

She came over to me, placing both hands on my shoulders, and looked me straight in the eye.

"I want to go to laser tag."

I burst out laughing, and she stepped back. "You're kidding right?" I said.

"Not at all. Look, it's already raining, today would be a boring day anyway. Plus, it would be a lot of fun." She said, and then a smile grew on her face, "And I know just who to invite."

Of course, she meant Dan and Phil, and I shook my head. "I hung out with Dan last night. I don't want to seem desperate."

"But Fee, you are desperate. Come on!" she said, and I crossed my arms. "Defiantly not."

She almost admitted defeat, but just as fast, she stepped around me and grabbed my phone out of my back pocket.

"Kayla, no." I yelled, reaching for it. She ran from me and around the couch. Her laugh filled the room as I chased her around. At the same time, she spoke into the phone, "Siri, call Dan Howell."

"No Siri, don't do it!" I yelled, climbing over the couch to her. As I tumbled over the cushions, she made a b-line straight to the bathroom. I ran behind her, and pushed against the door. She finally pushed me away, throwing the lock on and I slid down the door.

"Ophelia," I heard Dan say over the phone. She put the damn call on speaker.

"Actually Dan, its Kayla here. Ophelia and I were just wondering if you and Phil would like to come to laser tag with us later." She said confidently.

"Um," he laughed. I put my head in my hands, he most defiantly thinks we are insane. "That actually sounds like a lot of fun."

My head jerked up. Did he say he wanted to go? Holy shit.

"That's fantastic!" Kayla said, but her tone to me gave a big fat 'I told you so.'

"Yeah, I just have to check with Phil, so I'll text you guys in a bit." He said.

Kayla unlocked the door and I got up from the ground. She looked at me, a smug grin on her face.

"Sounds good, I'll text you the details later." She said, walking back to the kitchen, where her breakfast was brown—almost black—from abandonment.

"Bye!" he said, and they hung up.

I rolled my eyes, walking back to my bedroom but not failing to yelling, "I hate you," back at Kayla.