Duty calls

Stevie liked spending Sundays by herself. She would forget about her silly diets, cook a proper meal and end the night watching some romantic comedy, with a bowl of ice cream and a mug of hot chocolate. She had everything ready just in time before the movie started, covered with a blanket on the couch, but the atmosphere was quickly ruined by the doorbell. 

She opened the door and found none other than Lindsey standing in the hallway, dressed in casual clothes for once. "Hi?"

"Evening, Ms. Nicks."

"Since it's Sunday and you're not the boss of me until morning... what in the hell are you doing on my doorstep?"

"Duty calls. Throw a suitcase together, we have to be on our way to the airport in no more than fifteen minutes."

"Nuh-uh." Stevie shook her head, a spoon in her hand that she pointed at him. "You go wherever you want and I'm going back inside, my movie is starting."

"Come on, Nicks. I'm offering you a free trip to New York, are you seriously going to reject my kindness?"

"New York?" She frowned, when Lindsey invited himself in. "What have I left in freaking New York?"

"I have a very important client there, he wants to divorce his wife and I have to go there to assist him with it. He's not someone who would fly to see me. And you are going because I need your help, you know... I'm not going to make coffee myself, am I?"

"That's just pretext and you know it."

"Might be, I guess we'll never know." Lindsey shrugged, tapping his finger at his watch. "Off you go, get ready."

"I'm not going! I have work tomorrow."

"Yeah well, I'm your boss, you work for me, so what I say goes. And what I'm saying is that I need you to hurry up and pack a suitcase, because I'm taking you to New York for at least four days."

"Why are you doing this?" Stevie crossed her arms over her chest. "Did all of your secretaries get this special treatment?"

"No."

"Then I'll repeat myself, how am I different?"

He sighed, avoiding her eyes, before looking at her again. "Because... because I like you, okay? Happy now?"

She tried not to smile, giving a small nod of her head. "Happy. I'm going to get that suitcase packed now."

"Mhm, you do that. And pack something sexy."

"What the reason for that would be?"

"I might take you out if you're going to be a good girl."

"I thought you wanted me bad?"

"Depends on the mood." Lindsey shrugged and Stevie rolled her eyes, proceeding to go pack. 

It definitely took more for Stevie than fifteen minutes, but eventually she got ready, Lindsey barely able to lift the suitcase off the floor as they headed to his car.

"How do you like me?" Stevie asked, after they had been driving for some time. 

Lindsey glanced at her for a second before concentrating on the road again. "The way a man likes a woman."

"Yeah, we've established that you want me in your bed, but... I've known you for about two months now and you seem like you've changed. When you said you like me, it almost sounded sincere."

He half smiled, shrugging. "Well it was sincere. Although, can we not get into all of that?"

"One more question and then we continue on in silence?"

"Fine." He sighed, seeing her leaning closer, as she placed her hand on his jeans clad thigh.

"Is there more than just pure desire and lust?"

"Do you want to hear me say that... I don't know, that... I love you or something?"

"If you do then go ahead sure, but I wasn't thinking that I have you that tightly wrapped around my finger yet." Stevie smirked, sitting back straight in her seat.

"You're evil, you know that?"

"So, what is it then?"

"Maybe, just maybe... there's more than just desire and lust. And you're right, I do feel like I've changed some. You are changing me, because I've never come across a woman who put me in my place. I'm used to getting what I want and you broke that. And for that I thank you."

Like promised, Stevie kept silent after getting the answer she wanted, a small smile remaining on her lips throughout the whole time until they got to the airport. Lindsey knew it was exactly what she wanted to hear and that there had been another power shift, but this time he didn't mind.

Once they got on the plane, Stevie asked Lindsey to switch places and sit by the window. He noticed she was slightly nervous - a perfect chance to give a boost to his ego. "Are you okay?"

"I, uh... I'm fine, just... I haven't flown that much and I'm a little uneasy, that's all."

"You've got nothing to worry about." Lindsey smiled, sandwiching her hand in between his. "I'm right here with you."

"You'll be my protector?" 

"Yes, I'll protect you from everything."

"Even if the plane comes crashing down?"

"I'll think of something." He put his arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer as she lay her head on his chest, enjoying the feeling how his fingers tangled in her hair, playing with it.

It was before 6 am when they landed, getting into the first cab to the hotel, after taking their luggage. Lindsey didn't sleep at all and Stevie was up and gone again throughout the whole flight. The driver stopped, signaling they had arrived. Lindsey paid for the ride and took care of both his and Stevie's baggage as they went inside the hotel. 

She stood back, waiting for Lindsey to get the keys, anxious to go to her room and fall into bed. She felt him taking her hand. "We can go now, our suitcases will be in our room."

"Okay. Wait... our room?"

"That's right." Lindsey fought back a smile. "We're staying together."

"You failed to mention..."

"Is there a problem? I know you're secretly happy, knowing we'll be stuck in the same room." 

"Just because I'm completely exhausted, we're not going to have a fight." She yawned and allowed him to lead the way.

As soon as they found their number, Stevie began shedding her clothes, getting under the covers just in her bra and panties, making Lindsey swallow hard. Yes, he did plan for them to be staying in one room, but he thought she would make him sleep on the couch or something. This was going a lot better than he expected, or maybe she's just tired like she said and tomorrow I'll be sleeping somewhere else.

Deciding not to dwell on it, Lindsey stripped down to his boxers too and got in bed, turning on his side. 

"You keep your hands to yourself, mister." Stevie said sleepily, making him chuckle.

"Fine."

But not two minutes later, she scooted closer to him, wrapping his arms around herself. "Goodnight. Or morning..."

"Good morning to you, too." Lindsey replied and kissed the top of her head, exhaling heavily, a content smile on his face. 

~

I haven't updated in a few days, because I'm not really sure you like this story as much. I was thinking whether I should continue or not?