I'll be waiting

"I don't want to say goodbye." Lindsey whispered into Stevie's hair, as he held her close, before they had to part in the airport back in Los Angeles.

"We'll see each other again shortly. Monday is only a weekend away." She squeezed him reassuringly.

"I can't believe how quickly you've turned me into a completely different man." He drew back, holding her at arm's length. "Those days we spent together were amazing, you've made me so happy." He smiled sideways, reaching to touch the side of her face with the back of his hand.

"Don't do this... I'll end up crying. Seriously, we must look like we're in some soapy drama movie, about to part forever." Stevie laughed lightly, pulling him back in her arms. "You can call me tonight if you feel the need to, okay?"

"I'll do that, I'll call to wish you a goodnight."

She nodded, smiling and pecked him on the lips. "I'll be waiting. Now we really have to say goodbye, your wife is expecting you."

"Uh, don't even mention her to me." Lindsey finally let go of her, with a heavy sigh. "I'll see you Monday morning, Ms. Nicks."

"See you then, Mr. Buckingham." She blew him a kiss and went to find a cab that would take her home.

Lindsey didn't rush home, taking his sweet time, not once driving over the speed limit. He stopped by his house, actually thinking whether he really could return home and pretend to be the caring husband to Bridget, that he so far played rather well. His life after meeting Stevie took a huge turn, for the better looking at it one way and for the worse, looking at it the other. He was in love and he had never been happier, but how was he supposed to settle back into his reality, where he was married to another woman?

He unloaded his suitcase from the trunk of his car and took a deep breath before opening the front door of the house he had been sharing with Bridget for several years. He wasn't surprised when she didn't come greet him, give him a kiss and ask how the trip was, no he was used to the cold shoulder from her. Stevie was right, why on earth were they still married?

Lindsey carried his things upstairs and into the bedroom, where he found Bridget lying in bed with a book in her hands. She merely looked at him, uttering something that sounded close to 'hello', and returned to her reading.

"Are you fucking kidding me right now?" 

"What's your problem?"

"I've been gone for five days and all you can do to greet me is look at me for a split second?!" Lindsey yelled, not caring about the fight that was coming.

"As if you wanted anything more from me." She snorted, closing her book. "According to you, what would have been a proper greeting, my darling husband? I don't suppose you want us to make love, do you?"

"You know what, Bridget? I don't want anything, I don't want you. I'm sick of living like this, you can't stand me, I can't stand you. Why are we wasting our lives away? Let's just end this circus!"

She laughed, putting the book on the nightstand as she sat up. "No. That is not going to happen. And you know why?"

"Enlighten me!" He was unpacking his suitcase, wondering whether that was truly necessary.

"Because of her."

"What in the world are you talking about? Her?"

"That new toy you've hired, who sits at the front desk. I knew she was after you the second I saw her. Who goes to work dressed like... like a goddamn whore!"

"DO NOT CALL HER THAT, DO YOU HEAR ME?" He was quick to jump on the bed, grabbing her by the throat. "Do not dare say one bad word about Stevie. You're not half the woman she is."

"Oh my God, what has she done to you?" Bridget pushed him away forcefully, disgusted by his behavior. "All of a sudden your a love sick puppy! Wait... have you actually fallen in love with that bitch?"

"I thought I made myself clear you should not speak of her this way!"

"Are you in love with her?" Now she realized this was not one of those Lindsey's moments when he decided he wanted to end their marriage for whatever reason constantly, this was serious. 

"I am. Happy?"

"I suggest you fall out of love with her right this second."

"What are you going to do, huh? What threats are you about to come up with?"

"May I remind you the person you have to thank for your success? For your own law firm?" 

"Don't play the Daddy card, Bridget. I'm so tired of you-"

"Oh I will, honey. I will call my father right now and tell him you've decided to leave me. And you know just what my Daddy will do, for his beloved girl. He owns you, he gave you money for everything you've needed. He can sell that business of yours and your career will be over. I don't suppose you can buy it out from him, can you? You might be successful, but not that successful, Lindsey."

He sat fuming, head in his hands. True, without Bridget's father's money he wouldn't have most of what he had today, but he also worked really hard to earn his name. He couldn't just throw it all aside after so many years, could he? Especially for a woman, whom he'd known for a couple of months. What... what if what he thought was love, was simply infatuation and it would be gone soon? He swore to Stevie he wouldn't hurt her, that she could trust him...

"Did I make myself clear?" Bridget's voice brought him out of his thoughts. 

Without saying anything, Lindsey stormed out, slamming the bedroom door with force. Bridget smiled viciously, knowing it worked. He backed down. Again.

Later the same night, when Stevie was already wearing her nightgown and ready for bed, with a cup of tea, she was also waiting for that phone call Lindsey promised, but it never happened, leaving her disappointed once again.