On one condition

Weeks had passed by since that lunch Stevie shared with Lindsey and not much had changed yet, at least not of something that she knew. But then again, she told him to only approach her again, when there was a significant change, she was tired of promises. Even if she believed his feelings for her were sincere, that wasn't enough anymore. She was in her thirties now and silly, fun games were in the past. Like from the very beginning Stevie said, she wanted a family, she wanted a man that she needn't to share with anyone else. 

Lindsey listened to Stevie and he didn't say what he'd been up to. If he truly was set on leaving Bridget, he had to be absolutely sure. He was putting everything at risk, he was asking people to trust him, that he knew what he was doing and in time he would pay everyone back to the last cent. His brother even agreed to lending Lindsey some of his own family's life savings. When asked Lindsey didn't say he was doing all of this because of a woman, he would simply be laughed at and nobody would have taken him seriously. No, he said that he wanted to cut all ties with Mr. Harrison, Bridget's father, and that was that.

Still, what Lindsey had gathered wasn't enough, but there was one more person he hadn't asked, having an inner debate whether it was a wise choice to begin with. 

He knocked on the door, opening it. "Tom, may I have a word with you in my office?"

"Of course." Tom pushed the chair back and got up to follow Lindsey. "What's up?"

"You're my last hope."

"Wow, okay... Should I close the door?"

"Yeah." Lindsey nodded, taking a seat at his desk. "I want to buy myself out of Harrison."

"You want to leave Bridget, it's what you're saying."

"Well, yes and you know that's the only way for me to."

"I do." Tom sat down as well, knowing already what he was going to be asked. "I assume you want my help?"

"I'll pay you back, I swear. I'm still a little short, but I can't live like this anymore, I need to get away from that family. I know I'm asking a lot from you, but you're my best friend, Tom. I can sign anything you want me to, we'll do this on your terms, I just really need the money."

"Okay."

"What, okay? Just like that?" Lindsey frowned.

"There is only one condition."

"Tell me."

"Make me your partner. I want to run this with you. I know how egoistical you are, but you can't honestly believe there can only be your name, you need help, you need support. I've been with you from day one, Lindsey. I know how things work around here, I understand the politics of this place, together we can do a lot more."

Lindsey leaned back, trying to process Tom's proposition. If he wasn't so desperate, he would have never ever even thought of agreeing, but... "You've got yourself a deal."

Tom raised an eyebrow, hardly believing what he was hearing. "Are you serious?"

"Yes. I won't go back on my word." Lindsey added and held out his hand for Tom to shake.

"Tell me, why are you really doing this?"

"I told you, I'm asking Bridget for divorce."

"No, I understand that much, but who are you doing it for? She's got to be special."

"What? I don't-"

"Be honest with me, okay? Is it Stevie? You're a completely different man since she came into your life and you have this... this look about you, when you're around her."

"It's Stevie." Lindsey admitted, knowing he could trust Tom with his life.

"You're one lucky son of bitch, Buckingham."

Lindsey laughed, standing up when Tom did, accompanying him to the door. "I know."

Stevie was passing Lindsey's office when Tom opened the door, startling her, as she was so lost in her thoughts, a pile of papers falling from her grasp. All three of them bent over at the same time to gather the files, the two men, of course, being complete gentlemen saying they would take care of it.

"I'm sorry, I'm not myself today." Stevie thanked Tom, when he gave the last of the stack back to her.

"It's okay, we all have our days off." He smiled and then excused himself.

"I was actually bringing these to you." She told Lindsey, who showed her to his office.

"Uh, more cases. I think I'm done with work today, just put them on my desk, I'll look through them tomorrow."

Stevie did as asked and turned around to face Lindsey, who was standing a few steps away from her. They stared at each other for a minute, before she finally admitted. "I miss you."

He sighed heavily, closing the gap, as he pulled her into a hug. "I miss you so much."

"But I am keeping to my word, Lindsey. I don't know what or even if you're doing anything, concerning your divorce, but I will stay away. It's... it's simply easier this way. I couldn't imagine spending time with you, being loved by you and then see you go back to your wife."

"I understand." He said, pressing a kiss to her temple. "You have every right to, I don't blame you for wanting more than just an affair. And I am trying, Stevie. I'm getting there, trust me, baby."

She pulled back, smiling weakly, then rose on her tiptoes and whispered into his ear. "I love you."

"I love you, too Stephanie." Lindsey smiled back, caressing the side of her face. "I am doing my best to fix things."

"I believe you." She placed her hand over his.

"This is all so tender, but I can't stop myself from asking..."

"Oh here we go!" Stevie cheered up, knowing he was going to ask something not entirely appropriate.

"Is it just me or are your breasts bigger? I mean... these buttons are about to pop out!"

"Right, have a nice day, Mr. Buckingham. I have to run back to the front desk." She rushed out of his office, hearing him laugh which made her smile even wider, the mood hadn't been too good lately. 

When Stevie came home that evening, she was exhausted. She had been getting tired so easily, she didn't expect these changes start occurring so soon. She went to the bathroom to change out of her work clothes, stopping to take a look at herself, standing only in her underwear in front of a mirror. 

She placed her hands on her stomach, saying out loud. "You're growing fast, little one. Daddy's already seeing me, well his favorite parts of me, getting bigger." She chuckled, then exhaled heavily, reaching for her favorite loose fitting sweater...