Chapter 13

It's now the middle of October on a Wednesday. The band boys have been on their tour, which is a weird time to start one. It's not my decision though. Mason and I keep in contact by calling, texting, and Facetiming. Matthew and Sadie are finally together and so adorable, but Mason and I are not.

It was so sad to see the band have to go when we did the photo shoot together. I had to promise Zeke a car drive where he gets to sit shotgun. The band is still a sensation and I hear from Mason that Danny possibly has a girlfriend. My family is doing just fine, Ian is okay too. He hasn't had any panic attacks that I know of this month. I haven't been on any magazines or shows that I'm a new member of the band. Knowing people that could get a hold of those pictures, they would think I was in the band, but I'm not so that's good.

I pull my coat tighter around myself as I walk to my car and talk with Sadie.

"It's really cold, Em. I'll catch you later." Sadie says. I nod at her and she leaves with Matthew by her side.

I get in my car and crank the heat as I wait for Ian. He finally gets in. "It's getting colder and it's only the middle of October." He rubs his hands together in front of the air vent.

I pull out of the parking lot. "I know. The wind usually picks up around this time of year, though." I say to him.

Ian and I hold conversation the whole five minute drive home. We walk through the front door and kick off our shoes and pull off our coats.

"Mom, we're home!" Ian calls out.

Mom stayed at home to do some work. She works for a writing company, so I get my writing ideas from her. Dad works at a hospital as a doctor, and I work at a small grocery store part time.

"In the kitchen! I made hot chocolate!" Mom shouts back.

"Yes!" Ian and I exclaim as we make our way to the kitchen. What I didn't expect to see was the band MARJ in my kitchen casually drinking hot chocolate and talking with my mother.

"Oh my gosh! What are guys doing here?" I yell.

They chuckle. "We came to see you!" Axel yells back with as much enthusiasm.

Mason stands and gives me a long tight hug. "I want some." Axel pouts.

I laugh and pull out of Mason's embrace to give them all hugs. "Your mom makes the best hot chocolate." Danny states.

Ian hands me a mug. "I know."

We go to the living room and I sit next to Mason who puts his arm around my shoulders. "I can't believe you guys are here." I say to Mason and look at him. The others are talking with my mom and Ian.

"We're a couple towns over for a few days. I thought we would visit you. Plus, a special day is coming up."

I wrack my brain to think about what's special that's coming up. Oh yeah. My birthday is the nineteenth which is tomorrow. How do I forget my own birthday?

"It's not that special." I say sheepishly.

"Yes it is! You're going to be eighteen!" Mason argues.

"Okay, it's kind of exciting." I confide.

He grins. "What are you going to do?"

"I honestly don't know. My mom is probably planning a party with family and friends."

I finish off my hot chocolate. I join in the conversation that everyone else is having. Danny actually does have a  girlfriend, her name is Lea. They went to the same school when all of the boys were still in school. Axel doesn't have a girlfriend and neither does Zeke. They say their concerts have been selling out and tell about their performances. I tell them about Sadie and Matthew.