Chapter 16

I'm sitting at my desk with my homework papers sprawled out when Sadie comes in my room with a shopping bag in her hand.

I look over at her. "What's that?" I ask as I stand and walk to her.

"It's just your late birthday present from me." Sadie smiles. "Like two weeks late because I forgot about it." She adds sheepishly.

"I told you, you didn't have to get me anything." I tell her.

"Oh shush. Open it." She shoves the bag in my hands. I open it and take out a black dress that will reach a couple inches above my knees and has long sleeves. "Sade." I say and hold it out.

"I know you had your eye on it, and it was on sale for a great price."

I give her a hug. "Thank you."

"Well, of course. You got me that one expensive purse that I wanted for months for my birthday. You deserved this." She shrugs her shoulders.

"So, what do you have planned tonight?" I ask curiously.

"My mom wanted to have a night with just us, but I don't know." She tells me. Then her phone makes a sound in her pocket and she takes it out and checks it. She sighs. "I have to go, my mom is ready for me."

"Okay, thanks again for the dress." I give her another hug.

"Your welcome." We pull away and I offer to walk her to the door, but she says she'll show herself out.

"Have fun." I say.

"Okay, bye." She gives me a small smile and wave then shuts my door behind her.

I didn't tell her to have fun because she's hanging out with her mom. She's going on a date with Matthew. I smile and lay my dress on my bed then get back to my homework.

After a few minutes of writing, my phone vibrates and shows that Mason wants to Facetime again. I answer and continue writing because I'm almost done.

"Hey Em." I hear Mason greet.

"Hey."

"What're you doing?"

"Just now finishing my homework." I say and snap my book shut then begin to put everything away.

He smiles at me. "So, you know how I said I wanted to talk to you this morning?"

"Yeah?" Where's this going?

"Well, there's an article with some pictures that have me, you, and another girl. The article is just about relationships that might be going around in the band, but it talks about my love life a lot."

Not just one magazine, but more magazines. Different ones. Yay.

"Yeah, I know about it." I calmly say.

"You do?" He asks.

"Yep."

"You're not mad about it?" Mason looks relieved but curious.

"No, I'm just confused. But not everything they put in the media about celebrities is true. And I didn't need to over think things I didn't know about."

He just grins at me. I assume he's in a car because I see a car seat, other car headlights, and he's jerking around a bit. He gets out and is walking somewhere now. "Good, because that picture of that other girl is from like two or three years ago."

Then the door bell rings and I get up to answer the door. My family is downstairs doing something.

"Hold on, someone's at my door." I say to Mason as I walk down the hallway.