Chapter 15

Confusion hits me like a truck. I study the picture closely. That's definitely me, I'm like three in this picture. I can tell because I always had pretty frizzy curls when I was little.

My mom is holding me in her arms and the familiar man's arms are wrapped around us. We're all smiling at the camera and it looks like we're in front of a house. I can see a little part of the fence and a house.

I switch my gaze to my mom's left hand and see the same ring on her finger that I'm holding in the palm of my hand. I look to the man's left hand and see the other ring. "Emerson!"

I jump about a foot in the air and quickly start to scramble and put the things away. I realize that my mom is calling for me.

"Yeah?" I call back.

"I'm going to pick up Ian and I have to run to my office. Lunch is in the kitchen."

"Okay!"

I hear the front door close and a car being started then driving away. I gather up the pictures, a paper that looks interesting, and also the wedding rings.

I quickly pack up the boxes of pictures and the other stuff then put them away. I go back up the stairs and to my room then set the pictures on my desk. I check the time to see it's almost two, I've been looking at those pictures for quite a while.

I go to the bathroom to see what I look like and you can tell by the look on my face that something is bothering me. I decide to finish getting ready, other than what I did before I went to work. I take down my hair that's still wet and add eyeliner to my eyes. Maybe that will help the look on my face, doubt it. I'm usually pretty good at masking my emotions anyway.

I go back to my room and sit down at my desk. I grab the items to get a look at them once again. So many questions are buzzing through my mind that it's giving me a headache.

That man. That man is so familiar but I can't place him at all. I look at him to try and see something. His eyes are brown just like mine. Then I think about the dream I had a few days ago. This man was in my dream with my mother and I. Of course it was a dream and it was a little fuzzy, but it was this man. I don't why I had that dream. I've never seen these pictures before and I've never seen the man either. Who the heck is this guy?

Then I look at the paper I grabbed. It's just a random letter to my mom about a job, I think. I unfold the rest of it and a newspaper clipping falls out of it along with a piece of folded notebook paper. The clipping says something about the death of a man and how he left a wife and young daughter behind.

I don't understand. Why would my mom have these? He would have to be of some importance for her to keep these. What if this man is like my secret uncle I never knew about? Why wouldn't my mom tell me about this, even if he was? He couldn't be my father. Sean Miller is my dad.

Maybe he's just a good family friend. But if he somehow is family, then why would this be such a secret? And why would my mom not find a better hiding place for this secretive stuff? Is this man still alive? But there's that newspaper clipping with the death of a man. And the wedding bands. The clipping doesn't have a picture of the man, just a story of who he was. But it might not be about the same man.

Oh my... I'm so confused. I shake my head and try to push the thoughts to the back of my mind. I place the the pictures and rings in the drawer of my bedside then cover it up with some things I have stored in there.

I sigh and grab my phone then head down the hallway to the kitchen. Once I'm in the kitchen I see that my mom made something for me. I have completely lost my appetite so I just start packing up the food and put it away. I decide to make myself a cup coffee so I can at least have something.