Chapter 7 ~ Change of Heart

I wince as the Humvie comes to a sudden stop. "Out," Bucky says and I clench my jaw before I follow after him. My body argues with me as I go to stand up making me trip and fall into his back. He tenses and I quickly push myself off him and try to straighten making my side throb. "Follow me." He says not bothering to turn around. I furrow my brow and glance around to see all the HYDRA agents and then sigh. No getting out of this now. I follow him inside and down a hallway to an abandoned bank vault.

Inside, there were techs running around grabbing tools and medicine. I look past them and I blanch. I see the wiping machine sitting inside and I freeze. What did he plan to do to me? Suddenly someone grabs my arm and pulls me away from him forcing me into another part of the room. As they push me into the corner I hit my side hard against the safety deposit box doors making me yelp out.

"Don't touch her!" Bucky yells out as stomps over and grabs the person who threw me by the collar of his shirt making said person start to shake with fear. "Y-y-yes s-s-sir," He says as he quickly moves to another part of the room. I glance up at him but he doesn't look at me; He just walks away leaving me alone. I wrap my arms around my waist as I suddenly wish that he'd of just shot me and gotten it over with.

Tears once again threaten to fill my eyes causing me to bite my cheek. God this hurts! I'm sorry Nat, I'm so sorry.

~~~~~~~~~~

BUCKY'S POV

I walk inside the Vault with her following closely behind me. Why hadn't I killed her? That was my mission wasn't it? So why hadn't I? Was it because of the man on the bridge? So many questions ran through my head making it start to throb. Suddenly a yelp pierces my ears and I turn to see her lying on the floor clutching her side and my body fills with rage. I stomp over to them and lifting the man up into the air say, "Don't touch her!"

"Y-y-yes s-s-sir," He says an as I set him down he quickly moves to another part of the room. I see her glance up at me with a confused look on her face but I just walk away. What had she meant earlier when she said it would be better if I didn't remember her? Had she done something to me? She said I killed her but why? I pull off my tactical gear and after handing it to someone I sit down in front of the machine.

As the techs start to fix my metal arm a brief flashback fills my mind. "Sergeant Barnes..." A man says and anger fills my blood. "Bucky, No!" The man from the bridge yells as I fall off a train and over a cliff losing my arm in the fall. My mind moves to when I was found. Dogs bark and I look down to see most of my left arm was gone. "The procedure has already started." Zola says as men start to amputate what's frostbitten and replacing it with the metal arm. "You are to be the new face of HYDRA." Zola says as he face appears in front of me.

"Put him on ice." Zola orders and suddenly I feel the sensation of being frozen in a cryo-chamber making me slam my metal arm into the nearest thing which happens to be one of the techs, knocking him over. Suddenly Rollins points his gun at me to stop me from attacking any further.

I could still feel the effects of being frozen, it hurt like hell. So I did know him. I knew the man on the bridge, but what was his name? I glance out of the corner of my eye to see Campbell sitting in the corner her arms wrapped around her causing another memory to fill my mind.

"I love you," I hear my voice say to a woman sleeping next to me. Suddenly she jumps up and her eyes are wide with fear. It was Campbell. "Do you love me?" I hear my voice ask and I watch as the sadness and regret fills her eyes as she says, "I'm sorry," Rage fills my body and I sit straight up clenching my fists tightly.

Was that why she didn't want me to remember? If I loved her why then did she say I killed her? Sudden flashes of her standing in front of me her face devoid of emotion as I fire two shots into her stomach fill my mind and I grit my teeth suddenly wanting to remember everything. I hear men to my left and sigh as I stare straight ahead. This was going to suck.