Ch. 10

"You better explain." I hear my dad order loudly as I start eating. What the hell is going out there?
Then I hear. "What part needs explaining?" Nixon asks, calmly.
"The part where you said there was something going on between you and my daughter!"
I gasp, what the fuck! Why would he say anything? The idiot. I run to go save him.
"Calm down. It's not what you think, not ye-" Nixon is saying, I interrupt quickly.
"He meant that he's involved in my training and everything, look, he even cooks my meals." I say, picking up the salt shaker. "You'd like him, he's bossy, just like you." I tease, trying to break the tension.
"Whoa, for a minute there I thought dad was going to go ballistic and try to fight, Nixon. Sorry, dad, but you're on your own if that happens." Harris says, shaking his head.
Nixon is trained to fight with his hands. If he ever touches my dad or brothers, I'll kill him. I look at Nixon who's watching me amused. I narrow my eyes at him and go back into the dining room to finish eating.
"Sorry, Nixon. The way you said it, I assumed something else." Dad says, calmly.
I can't see Nixon, but I can picture his little grin and him shrugging it off.  I wait until he gets to the table to whisper, "Are you crazy? Don't ever tell my dad what happens between us. He'll kill you."
"I think I could take him, princess." Is his smug, reply.
"I understand that but if you ever hurt my dad or brothers, I'll cut your balls off and feed them to you." I say, viciously.
He laughs. I love his laugh it's so deep and rusty, like he doesn't laugh often. "Okay, princess. I won't hurt your family, I promise."
I glare and nod. "Good." We start eating again as Amber, Bridget, dad and Harris walk in. My dad still looks suspicious, but he sits and doesn't say anything. Bridget keeps glancing at Nixon and blushing. Amber is stuffing her face as quickly as she can and Harris is doing the same.
"Where's mom?"
"At home. I came here to tell you something." He shifts in his seat.
"Okay." I reply, worried.
"Well, I know you want me to butt out, but I was asked. So, it's different." He states, already defensive.
"Okay." I respond, now confused.
"Mark asked me for permission to ask you out and I said yes. He wants to take you to the annual Kahn charity event."
"Dad, I don't want to date Mark, you've got to be kidding me." I groan.
"Why not? I'd date Mark, he's hot." Amber comments.
"He's like our brother." I say, grossed out by her.
She rolls her eyes. "Obviously, he doesn't think of us as sisters. He's beyond sexy, give it a shot." She smirks, knowingly. She knows I was just with Nixon. What game is she trying to play?
"Well, I think of him as a brother."
"Emmy, he's not your brother. He's a good guy and he's interested in dating you. Do as your cousin suggests and give him a shot. You're so closed minded and stubborn, open up and try."
"Dad, come on. Why he so interested in me now? We've know each other our whole lives."
He laughs. "I asked the same thing. God, you really are my daughter. Well, he told me he's always liked you, he just felt that he shouldn't act on it. Talk to him Emmy, he's coming over at seven tonight, I just wanted to give you a heads up." He stands and kisses my head. "Love you, behave." He orders, firmly and leaves though the garage door.
"If it means anything to you, I think it's weird, too. But I've always known he liked you, so I'm not surprised. Jackson is going to kick his ass though. I remember when he wanted to take you to your prom and Jackson broke his nose, do you remember that?" Harris laughs.
I chuckle, "I remember." I nod.
"You're not going out with him." Nixon states.
"You know, I'm a big girl. I chew my own food and everything." I say, crossing my arms and mimicking him.
"I'm serious." He states sounding bored.
"I thought there wasn't anything going on between you two? Or is this part of the training?" Harris, questions sarcastically.
"Shut up, Harris, or I'll tell Betsy you liked her kiss and that you ran because you were so embarrassed you messed your pants."
"Dad will flip if he finds out." He comments, stating the obvious.
"I know, dummy. Don't you dare say anything, I'm serious." I warn. I look at Nixon. "I'm not going to date, Mark. Honestly, I've never thought of him that way."
"Good, I'm not leaving you alone with him either. You can tell him you're not interested, then I'll show him the door."
"You really are a primitive species of male testosterone, they should do experiments on you. I'm surprised you speak at all, you should just go around pounding on your chest."
He laughs. "I will be sure to do that when he comes in here."
"I told you he's like a brother, you can't hurt my brothers."
"Yet, he's not your brother." He clarifies.
"I would love to slap you right now." I shake my head wishing I could.
"You'd break your hand." He smirks.
"I know." I say, reluctantly.