Ch. 14

I walk back into the dining room and sit at the table confused. I thought Mark would have been understanding, I wasn't expecting him to say what he did. What the hell was he talking about not giving up? I look at Amber she's still sulking. I turn to Nixon and he's eating his food.
"I talked to Mark." I tell them both.
"What did he say?" Amber asks, interested.
"He said things. I don't know, he said he wasn't going to avoid me or anything. He's not mad at me." I explain, hoping Amber lets it go, now that I've talked to him.
"He thinks he's going to win you over, doesn't he?" Nixon asks, not looking very happy.
I shrug. I don't want to talk about that part of the conversation. Especially, with Amber sitting right here. We finish eating in silence. We make our way to Nixon's truck and I climb in first sitting in the middle, then Amber slides in after me.
"Are you still mad?" I ask Amber.
"I'm not mad. You know how close I am to Mark, it makes me upset to see him upset. He's the only man good enough for you and your turning your back on him."
I mentally roll my eyes. "It's not that I think I'm better then him, Amber. I just never have thought of him as more then a brother. Now, please let it go. I can't just make myself think of him sexually or as anything more."
I hear Nixon's low growl. "Knock it off, Nixon." I scold.
"Give it a chance, just one shot with, Mark. Then I'll get over it." The harshness of Amber's voice surprises me. I turn to her and her eyes lock on mine. I can see how much this means to her. Even if they're close, I don't understand why she would still push this. Have I overestimated her feelings for Mark? She seems sincerely concerned about his feelings. She doesn't care that he wants me, she just wants him happy.
"Do you love him?" I ask.
"Of course, but I don't think I love him like he loves you. I care about him, but not like I thought I did. He deserves every happiness. He's so great, I know I could love him if he loved me back, but he doesn't and I'm okay with that." Amber explains.
There's absolutely no deception in her eyes I can see she's telling the truth. I'm happy that she's not in love with him and that I was misinterpreting her anger about the situation. I don't want to make any promises about dating Mark. I don't think Nixon and are officially a couple, but I do like him. Maybe I should give Mark a chance, one date wouldn't hurt.
However, as soon as I think about dating Mark, I know Nixon would never allow it. Nixon definitely has made his mark on me and its driving me crazy. A couple of days together and I'm under his spell. I can't put my finger on it, but I know I want him. Which, has never happened to me before. I glance at Nixon, who's brooding about Mark. I take in his face, it's so chiseled and strong. Every inch of him, from his body to his personality screams testosterone filled male. Nixon is by far the most manly man I've ever met, yet he's completely gorgeous. I understand why I find him attractive, but his cave man tendencies should drive me crazy. I should hate that about him. His take charge attitude should be a major turn off for me. So, why isn't it? I don't mind his attempts to tell me and everyone else I'm with him. I like it, I like knowing he wants me. When Nixon takes charge of a situation I see his arrogance and stubbornness. He's a man that is used to getting his way and I want to challenge him and push his buttons. He's not like the other guys I know, who would let me walk all over them. He pushes right back and its refreshing.
We pull up to the security booth and I get my ID and hand it to Nixon. I tell Amber to do the same. We show our ID's and get waved forward. Nixon parks his truck and Amber unlocks the door to get out. Before I can get out after Amber, Nixon pulls me out of the truck on his side. He doesn't say anything but looks at me intently for a couple of seconds before taking my hand and walking to the building. We get our temporary badges and go to the gym. Nixon opens the door for us and Amber and I go in with him behind us. I look around and there are more people here this time then yesterday.
"Should we start at the mats again?" I ask, Nixon.
"Yeah, let's start there. Do some stretches." I nod and walk that way. Amber follows me and I go through the stretches Nixon showed be yesterday.
Amber hits me to get my attention as we walk to the free weights. I look at her and she nods her head to a group of guys standing by a bench press. They are looking at us and I notice Justin, the guy who introduced himself to me yesterday. I give a small wave and continue to follow Nixon.
"You know him?" Amber asks, excitedly.
I chuckle. "He introduced himself yesterday, his name is Justin."
"He's hot."
"Yeah, I think he knows that too." I joke.
"Was he a jerk?"
"No, he was nice. I was just saying that because hes so pretty. Definitely a very pretty boy."
"That he is, but that body is not that of a pretty boy. That body is all man." She adds. I laugh at her observation as we stop at the weights. Nixon hands me ten pound weights and I start the arm lifts I started with yesterday. Nixon stops me and makes me do a different lift. I stop after a few and unzip my track jacket and lay it on the bench.
"What the hell are you wearing?" I hear Nixon ask. I turn and see his eyes locked on my chest. I can't believe I forgot I put this skimpy outfit on earlier.
I smile. "My workout clothes, some might call them my second skin." I tease.
His eyes devour me and I can feel my heartbeat quicken. I look away and continue my workout. Amber laughs and I turn to her, about to ask her what was so funny, when I see her looking behind me at Nixon. So, I ignore her and continue to lift, finishing my sets. We do leg lifts and weighted squats. By the time we go to the treadmills I'm exhausted and I can tell Amber isn't doing any better.
"Do a two mile brisk walk and we can call it a day." Nixon offers and I nod. I start my walk and so does Amber. "I'll be right back." Nixon says, walking to the bathrooms.
"He wants you so bad." Amber giggles.
"What do you mean?" I question.
"I mean he hasn't taken his eyes off you for as long as we've been here." she explains, slightly irritated.
"I want him just as bad. I did this to tease him." I admit to her, pointing to my outfit.
"Well, it worked." She scoffs.
"I noticed." I laugh.
"You're back and you brought a friend." I look over at Justin who is standing by my machine.
I nod. "This is my cousin Amber. Amber this is, Justin."
"Nice to meet you, Amber." Justin says, smiling at her. "Your boyfriend has been glaring at me for a while now." Justin says to me.
"Yeah, sorry about that he's a bit territorial." I apologize.
"Usually, that means he has a reason to be." he states.
I shrug and Amber says,"That's because shes not really dating him, yet." I give her a dirty look.
"So, hes not your boyfriend?"
"He is-" I start before I'm interrupted by Nixon's deep voice.
"I'm with her and shes with me."
Justin looks at me, "I'm with him." I agree and Amber coughs. I look at her shes shaking her head. What the hell is her problem? Does she really not like Nixon and I together that much? "What is your problem? You know we're together. Why are you acting like this?"
"Its been a hot minute, are you even sure you want to be with him? You met him a couple of days ago, I wouldn't say hes your boyfriend." She argues. I don't know what to say to her, her behavior is shocking to me. She's never been like this before.
"Well, I'll let you finish up. It was good seeing you again, Emery. Nice to meet you Amber." Justin says.
"Bye."I tell him, still looking at Amber who doesn't seem to care that I'm upset with her attitude.
"Nice to meet you too, Justin." She replies, flirting with him. He walks away and I look at Nixon, who narrows his eyes on Amber.
"What the hell is your problem with me, exactly?" he asks her.
"Look, it's not you. It's just that Emery needs to give it a try with Mark. You need to go on the back burner until she knows for sure she doesn't want to be with him."
"She already knows, your pushing him on her. You're trying to guilt her into doing something she doesn't want to do." He argues.
"I just want what's best for her. I love them both and they would great together, that's all."
I don't say anything. I can tell Nixon is mad and Amber is being irritating. "I want to go." I pick up my jacket and put it on then grab my water bottle.
I can tell Amber is about to say something else, so I stop her. "Amber, I love you but leave it alone. I've had enough for today. Whatever I do is my decision, this is my life. I get enough of this shit from my family." I start walking away and I feel Nixon behind me. We get to the truck and get in quietly. At home I see my day won't be getting any better. Yes, this day just got much, much worse.