Ch. 25

Thanks for your patience. I know I took too long to post this...but I had another story to get down...it was bothering me. -thanks, K

Emery's POV

As I sit at the table I see Nixon tense up, still feeling drained from last night I don't feel like commenting about it. He said earlier that he was sorry, but they way he left me room was cold. He didn't try to talk to me any further, he just stated that he was on guard duty and left it at that. He won't forgive himself, I know that. Still his lack of touching and the way he avoids looking at me is not him, this is a different Nixon.

My mom sets eggs and bacon in front of Nixon and I, giving my dad a bowl of oatmeal.  I chuckle as my dad grimaces and picks up his spoon. Feeling bad, I sneak him a piece of bacon from my plate as payment for me laughing. He shoves it in his mouth before my mom comes back to the table with her own breakfast. I eat fast and when I am almost finished the doorbell rings. I know its the cops wanting to ask questions, so I take my plate to the sink and rinse it off. 

When I turn, I hit the wall that is Nixon. He quickly backs up and moves around me. "We are going to talk to the police in the living room." He states and walks away.

I stay behind in the kitchen a minute more putting the dishes in the dishwasher, feeling hurt. I know that he's keeping distance between us. I just don't understand why, exactly. The Nixon I know wouldn't leave the room without following me. The Nixon I know would have held me when he told me there was a break in at my house. I have no idea who this Nixon is and its frustrating. As soon as I think I know him, he shows me another side of himself. I hate that I miss his touch already, they always made me feel safe and secure.

I want to talk to him about last night and apologize for making such bad decisions, but I don't think he wants to hear it. I messed up royally and when I did, it affected him and our relationship. I sigh and walk to the living room where I hear everyone is discussing the break in and what can be done about it. I make sure not to look at Nixon, I don't want him to see how hurt I am. I introduce myself to the two detectives on the sofa. The first is a women Detective Gazetti who is around thirty-four with short dark hair and the most beautiful brown eyes I've ever seen. The next is Detective Greenly a man around thirty with short brown hair and hazel eyes, he has a friendly smile and is very polite judging by the way he stood when I walked into the room.

"Miss Kahn, we were discussing the facts of the case. We were told you don't have any idea who could have done this." Detective Gazetti states.

"Yes, I don't know anyone that would do something like this." I concur.

"No past boyfriends have given you any trouble?" Detective Greenly asks.

"Nope, no boyfriends. No, enemies that I know of. I really don't have the first clue about who this could be." I say, honestly and just as frustrated as they are.

"That really leaves us with nothing to go on, as we were telling your family. But if you think of anything or see anyone acting strange, please contact us." Detective Gazetti states, standing up.

"Actually, I have a few questions." Detective Greenly says, staying seated.

"You came in recently about an assault at a bar. I was on duty. Do you think it could have been those guys?"

"I don't think so, they were brothers and they had really lite blonde hair. My cousin Amber would have recognized them, she was with me at the time of the assault and she was home when she saw the guy leaving our condo."

"Oh, yeah that's right. I remember her." He concentrates as if he's recalling that day. "You were with two men as well." he prompts.

"My brothers Jackson and Harris." I explain.