Chapter 2 - Face to face

Regina threw the glass against the wall with a scream. She was frustrated: none of her soldiers had found Snow White yet. That little coward... She wanted to crush her heart so slowly, until she would beg her to hurry up and kill her...

Her thoughts were interrupted by one of her useless servant. He kneeled before her and announced with trembling voice: " The...ehm...the man you..."
" Are you trying to say that the assassin I hired is here, finally?" she barked, hardly holding herself from killing the stupid servant. He swallowed loudly and nodded, not daring to look at her. " What are you waiting? Let him in!" she bellowed, making him shiver. He stood up and ran out of the room. A silent, black figure entered the throne room in place of him. His skin was dark, too. A shadow. The Queen smirked.
" So you got my message, Bogeyman."
He nodded once. " Yes, Your Majesty. I accept the mission. Not that I had any choice. " he said with a low, growling voice. The voice of darkness.
He didn't seem so annoyed, by the way. Regina stepped closer. " I hope you will accomplish it. I could need your services in future. It would be a shame if they didn't exist anymore. "
Eyes darker than hers, he eyed her with a mix of enjoyment and fierceness. She loved that look. Another smile curved her lips. " The sooner you begin, the sooner you'll bring her here." she suggested, indicating the exit with a slight nod.
He nodded once, kneeled and turned to leave. But, as his feet crossed the door, the edge of sword appeared from behind the wall and stopped him. He was blandly wounded on his left arm. Knives flied everywhere, some steel-against-steel rumors, a suffocated scream when the sword found his chest.
The Queen stepped back, one hand in flames, ready to fight. The Bogeyman fell down, dead, and the sword disappeared behind the wall. An armored figure substituted it a moment after.
Regina's mouth was agape with astonishment: the warrior, so skilled to kill the Bogeyman in a heartbeat, was a girl. Younger than her, and taller, a blonde, thick, complex braid long to her waist. She wore a complete, ruined armor, but the helmet was missing. She was holding a little shield with her left hand, too.
The surprise faded away quickly. The fireball flied fast through the room towards the warrior. Regina smiled, pleased: she had no chance to avoid it. But a light-blue light flashed in the room, and her fireball crashed against the wall to her left.
The girl was healthy. Not even a little burning on her. Regina prepared another attack, but the warrior surprised her once again.
" I apologize for my rough entrance, Your Majesty. " she began with strong, loud voice. Regina froze as the girl kneeled before her. What the hell was happening? " And for having dared to fight you, my Queen. I can just say it was the only way to stay alive and talk to you." She continued, eyes on the floor, the sword dropped on it. The silence stayed for a while. Regina was astonished.
" Who are you? And why on earth shouldn't I kill you?"
" Never said you shouldn't, Your Majesty. I'm just asking for your attention for a while. Then, of course, you'll decide if I can be useful or not. "
Regina eyed her suspiciously. She didn't trust her, but, strangely, she didn't feel in danger in her presence. Something in that weird girl was reassuring. She waved her hand nervously. " Go on. "
The girl nodded with a smirk at the ground. " My name is Shaya, daughter of King Roland and Queen Farrah, sister of Gregory, Queen of the Eastern Lands. Better, that is who I was and who I was supposed to become, about a century ago. You may know me better as Rapunzel, or the Mad Princess, as some so affectionately called me." she glanced at Regina, smirking.
" Rapunzel? " she asked in a murmur, thinking loud. " The one that was imprisoned for life in a magical tower for having killed her brother when she was a child?"
" I never killed him." the warrior rumbled, her eyes suddenly darkened by an ancient rage.
Regina swallowed. She didn't know why, but she believed her.
The Queen nodded once, thoughtful. " Someone, years ago, told me that you were fighting as a mercenary in King Raymond's army, but I didn't believe him. I thought it was just a trick to scary me. " She eyed Rapunzel with narrowed eyes, careful to hide the slight hint of fear that she was beginning to feel on the bottom of her heart. The warrior reassuringly smiled at her, and this, unbelievably, faded the fear away.
" You don't have to fear me, Your Majesty. I'm here to serve you, can't you see?"
She moved her gloved hands, indicating herself. But Regina looked at her eyes, blue as the limpid ocean, in search of any lie. She was a warrior, a very skilled one, and she could use magic. And she could see what Regina was feeling. She was dangerous, although her mind kept telling her that she wasn't it for her.
" You can use magic."
Rapunzel nodded, still on her knees. " Yes, a little bit. I've learnt it years ago. It can be useful during a battle." she smirked again.
" Why did you killed the Bogeyman?"
" He wasn't enough for your will. I thought I had made it clear. " she added with colloquial mood. She seemed amused. The rage grew fast in Regina.
" Indeed. And my guards?"
Rapunzel sneered. " They're sleeping. My fault. "
A little moment of silence. Regina sighed. She hadn't killed them, at least. But still, she had a problem: Snow White was alive, and the assassin was dead. " I suppose you want to replace him?" she hazarded cocking an eyebrow. It was the only logical reason why she was acting that way. If Rapunzel was working for Snow White, they would at least be fighting.
" If you allow me to, I would be honored."
Regina stayed silent for a minute, thinking. Something was wrong. " And why on earth would you want to serve me? "
Rapunzel hesitated, flinching repeatedly. Her cheeks flushed a little for a moment. " Because I do believe that Snow White deserves to die." she finally said, serious, darkened eyes fixed in Regina's. The Queen's heart lost a beat. None, ever, had told her those wonderful, truthful words. She knew everyone was against her there. They obeyed just because she obliged them. But this unexpected, probably immortal warrior did. And she could do nothing else than believe her words. She nodded again, swallowing.
" So bring her heart to me."