Chapter 16 - Darkness

Snow was walking up and down across the waiting room. Occasionally David had tried to make her sit down, but she just couldn't do it. Her daughter was in an operation theater with a concussion that had almost killed her. Her daughter, the daughter she couldn't raise, the daughter she couldn't love for twenty-eight years. All because of her. Regina. The same person who tried to kill Emma. The same person who ran away as the coward she was.

" Snow, please..."
" Shut up, David! How can you be that calm? Our daughter's life is in danger!"
" She'll be fine, darling. She's strong." But he wasn't sure of it, Snow could see it. His eyes were filled with tears. He was pale, and his legs were slightly trembling. Snow dried her tears.
" I'll kill her." she growled. David stood up and came up to her, hugging her tightly. He said nothing.
Snow watched Henry over David's shoulder, clung to Red, who was trying to comfort him. His gaze was empty, locked on the floor. He was weeping, but not crying anymore. When Whale had called her, and she and David had ran to the hospital, they had found him immobile, standing in the middle of the waiting room, eyes on the door beyond where Emma had disappeared. He was white on his face, totally covered in tears and soil, and there was a stain of blood on his cheek. Emma's blood. Henry had told them what had happened with flat, empty voice. He had kept weeping all the time. Then he had silenced, and stayed that way for the hour that had passed. They had hugged him, but he didn't react. When Red had come, she had somehow managed to make him sit down, and she had stayed with him since that moment.
Regina succeeded in destroying him, too. Because he was shattered, it was clear. Snow doubted that he could ever ride over this thing.
" What the hell happened?"
The known imperious voice made the room shiver. Snow distanced from David and came at Rapunzel.
" Your beloved Regina tried to kill my daughter, here's what happened!" she spit out with rage, challenging the imposing figure of the warrior. She widened her eyes, but then clenched her jaw.
" Snow..." David tried to say, but Rapunzel came closer to her, locking gaze.
" There must be a misunderstanding..." she replied with low, harsh voice, her eyes suddenly darkened.
" No." Henry's thin but hoarse voice made them all turn to watch him. He was eying Rapunzel with a hateful gaze. " She threw her down of the saddle with magic. She..." his voice faded away with his gaze. Snow's heart crushed for the thousandth time that day. She approached her grandson, trying to hug him after sitting next to him. He stayed still in her hug. Snow glared at Rapunzel.
" Do you still think that we're misunderstanding?"
Rapunzel was speechless. She alternated her gaze between all of them, then lowered it. When she gazed up again at her, Snow saw only determination in her eyes. " This can't be real. She'd never do something like that without a reason."
" She was jealous!" Snow cried out, suddenly standing up. " She wanted him only for herself! She always did!"
" You know this's a lie..."
" A lie? You weren't here, you don't know what she did to keep him with her! She's just a selfish monster, Rap..."
Snow didn't see her moving. One moment she was screaming at her, the moment after she had the warrior's hand on her throat, and her back was pressed against the wall. Rapunzel's face, a mask of rage, was almost touching hers.
" Don't you dare, Snow White..."
Shivers ran through her spine at the sound of that voice. She looked in her eyes. She thought that they were blue. She was sure that they were blue. But now... There was only darkness there. She couldn't see their color anymore. It was like looking directly in the Death's eyes. There was nothing there, but a death's promise.
" Hey! Let her go!" David shouted. Snow saw his hand on Rapunzel's shoulder. He was pulling, but she didn't move.
" Why are you so blind?" Snow asked with the little breath Rapunzel's grasp left her. " How can't you see who she is?"
Rapunzel snorted, a fierce rage that contorted her features. She moved closer, and spoke with her lips almost touching her left ear. " I trust her more than I'll ever trust you, child."
She suddenly let her go and rapidly walked away, her heavy steps loud in the silent room.