Chapter 5 - The last light

The guards came to pick her up at dawn. She made no resistance. They took her to a spoil chamber, with only a stone column with a little object on the top of it. Regina

stood behind it, a cold expression on her face, cornered by the black, high collar of her precious dress. Rapunzel was left a step from the column. The guards left the room at Regina's gesture.
The object was a golden ring, finely forged as a feather turning on itself. It was hovering a few inch from the column. Rapunzel sadly eyed Regina.
" Do you know what it is?" the Queen asked softly. There was something unmatching in the way she talked. It seemed that she was sorry, but her expression, her posture told Rapunzel the contrary. The warrior denied by slightly shaking her head. " This is a transporter. It creates a portal and sends who wears it to a particular place."
" Which place?" Rapunzel asked in a murmur. Sadness had been so intense to tire her. Now she felt almost nothing.

Regina swallowed. The mercenary's eyes looked empty, glassy. She had already seen that look. People about to be killed had that look. The Queen took a deep breath, gathering the strength she needed to go on. It was ridiculous. She had never felt so sorry for someone, not since Daniel...
" It will take you where you're meant to be." she said, distracting herself from her own thoughts. " Only fate knows where it is. "
A shadow passed through the Golden Death's eyes, too fast for Regina to recognize its nature. She sadly smiled. Her shoulders were so stooped that she looked as tall as Regina. " So I just have to put it on my finger?" the warrior asked, almost in a whisper, staring at the ring.
The Queen nodded. " Yes. It won't hurt. I think." she added in a whisper, secretly hoping not to be heard. What she was trying not to feel was absolutely senseless. All that inappropriate and ridiculous guilt...
Rapunzel gave a start, then a tiny but warm smile lightened up her face. Something clamped absurdly in Regina's chest.

Rapunzel took the ring with her right hand, feeling its low, powerful vibration, studying its raffinate shape for a moment. It was beautiful, after all. A good way to leave. From a window the sunlight came with the sunrise, making the ring shine bright between her fingers. She eyed Regina, trying to smile while her heart was crushing. " Your Majesty, before I go, I have to tell you one thing." she managed to say with a hint of voice.
" Talk." Regina nodded, her voice absurdly tensed.
Rapunzel swallowed, trying to find the bravery to speak. " Forgive her."

Regina's jaw fell open. So she actually betrayed her. Anger was consuming her, but then Rapunzel smiled, and that was the saddest smile she'd ever seen. Something painfully crackled inside her.
" Goodbye, my Queen." the mercenary said with a shred of voice. For a heartbeat it seemed that she wanted to tell more, but then she smiled once again and put the ring on.
There was a bright flash in the room, then the ring fell, alone, tinkling on the marble floor.