Chapter 21 - Dark hearts and bright smiles

Headache. Pain every-freaking-where, to be honest. Emma was sure that even her hair was aching. " Fuck..." she weakly murmured, covering her eyes with a hand. Light. Painful, white light. " Hell..."
" Hey, Swan, I thought you'd have never awakened!"
Hook. " Shit."
" Was that an insult?"
" Shut the fuck up, Hook, my head is a... oh, shit! Gimme some morphine! "
" I could give you something better..."
" Shut the fuck up and call Whale."
" As you wish, ma'am." he sighed. Emma heard him stand up and walk out of the room. She moved her hand: the room was empty. Weird. Where were David and Mary Margaret, and Henry, and Regina? How sweet from them, to leave her with a pirate. Very, very caring. Thank you, family. She was full of joy to have to stand his mocking eyebrows. " Ah, fuck everything."
" Me too?"
Whale? Emma opened one eye. Whale. " Hey, doc, stop this pain because I'm freakin' out."
He leaned on her making her open one eye at time, her mouth, somehow studying her by her tongue and her pupils. He stretched a hand above her head, and the light upon her suddenly shut off. The pressure on her forehead sensibly reduced.
" Oh, God! Thank you!"
She could even oped her eyes now, so she saw the doctor smile.
" I'm not God yet, but I'm working on it!" Whale winked, but stopped smiling seeing Emma's raised eyebrow. " Never mind. The only thing that I can do for you is tell you to sleep. You need rest, Emma. There's nothing wrong in your body, you're simply tired. "
Emma sighed loudly. " How am I supposed to sleep with this headache?"
" I'm taking you some aspirin." he smiled, gently rubbing her shoulder. Emma tried to smile back at the doctor.
" Thanks."
As Whale exited the room, Killian took his place beside her. Emma looked at his cute face. He was trying to hide the worry with a smirk.
" Maybe some rum could..."
" Hook, rum isn't the solution to every problem, ya know?"
" Who says it?" he sneered, opportunely taking a sip from his flask. Emma wondered how much liquor that flask could contain. Maybe it was empty from days, and he was only pretending to drink in order to appear manlier and more... pirate. She laughed innerly at the thought.
" Ah, caught: the Swan smiled!" he exclaimed, almost making her head implode.
" Yeah, I was thinking about your last braincell suiciding itself after that you killed your liver." she grimaced. He looked only confused.
" Braincell? And what has my liver to do with this? You must be more tired than we thought, Swan, you're delirious! "
" No, it's science. Ask Whale if you don't believe me."
The pirate frowned. " I'll do." he muttered, still unconvinced.
There was a beautiful silence for a while, then Whale came back and handed her a glass full of fizzy water. Emma thanked him and drank it all at once, even because she now realized that she was damn thirsty. She was already feeling better when she collapsed back on the bed.
" Let her sleep now. You can come back tomorrow, Killian. Go take a shower, have a dinner, chill out... we can meet at The Rabbit Hole at ten."
" I don't wanna drink tonight."
" Then you won't. I'll teach you to play billiards, it'll be funny!"
Emma watched them with narrowed eyes. Doctor Frankenstein and Captain Hook were becoming friends. Great.
" See you tomorrow, Emma. Sleep well, and if you have problems, just call me." Whale was telling her. She slightly smiled at him.
" Thanks."
" Yeah, goodnight, love." Killian said winking while walking out the room. Fortunately they closed the door a second after, because Emma realized with horror that she was blushing. That damned sexy wink! She hated him. She really hated Killian Jones.

Moss, soil, water, leaves. Some birds, a frog, a fox, but no people. They weren't in the forest, well, not in that side of it, at least. She was alone, finally! Ruby smiled at the woods.
" I won't fucking mate with three big werewolves, not at all. Fuck you, hormones! I was about to jump on Belle, damn you! Have you an idea of what that would have meant? Friendship ended, skin ripped out by the Dark freaking One. No, dear hormones, no, no! Goodbye people, goodbye mating, that's it. Problem: solved. " she sighed, looking around. " Hoping that someday they'll go away chasing another she-wolf." she added in a whisper. " Maybe I could ask Rapunzel if she
can convince them to go away. She's pretty dominant, after all."
Ruby jumped a fallen tree. " Gah, I'd only put her in danger. Then Regina would skin me alive. Together with Rumple, he's friend of them both, after all. Friend. As if he could really be friend with someone. I really don't know what Belle sees in him. She's too cute for him... Oh, no, I'm doing it again! Shut up, wolf, shut the fuck up! I don't like you at all, ya know? Horny hell dog. I don't wanna bang Belle, nor Rapunzel, nor, absolutely not Regina and... And why are they all women? Are you a lesbian wolf? What the hell! I thought that I was bi by myself, but seen this, maybe I'm straight and you are gay. As if we were two different things. I'm talking alone as a lunatic! Mpf. Funny, really funny Lucas. Really, really..."
" I thought I was the only one talking with myself."
Ruby barely held a scream. The man jumped down from a large branch of the tree in front of her. She immediately recognized him: the creepy red haired Little Pig.
" Who are you?" she asked him, showing a bravery that she didn't feel. He was damn tall, and with those shoulders he could have been a great football player. The muscles under the t-shirt looked like wild animals themselves. He grinned.
" The name's Steven. Nice to meet you, Red."
" How do you know my name?"
He snorted. " You're the only female for miles. It'd be weird if I didn't know it."
Ruby nervously swallowed. So, there was no possibility to be replaced as "female" for them. Shit.
" I don't wanna have sex with you, Steven." she said, determined. He laughed.
" You smell of the contrary."
Red blushed. " I... It's not for you! I feel nothing with you, holy shit! You're the only one I don't want to fuck these days, to be honest. Oh, crap! I said it loud."
The werewolf suddenly became alert, and stepped forward, forcing her to step back to keep the distances from his menacing body. " Really?" he asked, his light blue eyes narrowed, his pupils impossibly dilated. He smelled of man, leather and wolf.
" Yes! Now leave me alone. I ate my last boyfriend. It's an advice." she glared at him, letting her eyes flash yellow. Yet, he didn't stop walking.
" He was just a human. I'm like you. You don't have to restrain your nature with me." His eyes gradually turned amber color, his beard slightly thickened. Red swallowed, feeling her teeth lengthen.
" I told you that I feel nothing towards you. " she made another step back, and hit a tree with her back. Steven came closer, imprisoning her with his arms beside her head, leaning on the old tree. Her heartbeats accelerated so much that she thought her chest would have exploded.
" I don't want to hurt you, lady. I'm not that kind of beast, trust me." he slightly smiled narrowing his eyes. Ruby clenched teeth.
" Then let me go." she growled.
Steven frowned, not hiding the amusement in his eyes, then stepped back opening his arms.
" You're free to go. " he said half smiling. " But you're mine." he added with a smirk. Red showed him her fangs with a snarl.
" I'm none's!"
He softly laughed. " Tell your wolf."