disconnected

the next day, charlie came back to her set of envelopes and picked up envelope three. she was hesitant about opening it because, honestly, she missed ashton more than she could put in to words and deeply regretted breaking up with him. she only did because she never saw him and thought it would be easier that way. it wasn't. she opened it anyway and pulled the two pieces of paper out and opened the one titled charlie.

"charlie,

this one is called disconnected. it's about when we were in the start of the relationship and we were really happy."

she sighed and opened the other piece of paper. it started with "life's a tangled web of call phone calls and hashtag-i-don't-knows, and you, you're so caught up in the blinking lights and dial tones". charlie had to try and swallow a lump in her throat because when she used to have deep conversations with ashton, they both used to turn their phones off because they thought that they would rather talk to each other than constantly be distracted by the negativity of social media. however, charlie always found it difficult to turn off her phone.

when it got to "i admit i'm a bitter victim of the world wide system too, but i found my sweet escape when i'm alone with you." charlie felt a tear roll down her cheek because a couple of times she had heard ashton call her a sweet escape but she didn't understand what he meant and it was usually before they went to sleep so she was too tired to ask and forgot in the morning.

the song was a very sweet one about how, despite all of the distractions of social media or "the world wide system", it was all about how ashton found peace in the girl he loved.

charlie found she couldn't work up the nerve to open the next envelope.