wherever you are

the next day, charlie braved opening the next envelope.

"c h a r l i e,

these are getting so boring to write babe but this one is called wherever you are and it's sad AF"

she got to the second line of the song and sighed deeply. charlie could tell the song had been written just after the boys had had a weeks break and she had spent most of the time with ashton. it had been awkward to start with, but became exactly how it had been before ashton had left. when he went to go back to the tour, charlie couldn't stop crying. however, she had never known that ashton was in two minds about breaking up with her. she could tell when he was about to leave that although he thought he had to, he desperately hadn't wanted to.

when it got to the bridge, charlie felt her tears well up. "you can say we'll be together someday, but nothing lasts forever, nothing stays the same - so why can't i stop feeling this way?"

it reminded her of when ashton had been leaving. she had asked him in the airport why they changed so much when they were away from each other, just as he was walking through security and they had to separate. he had turned around very slowly, with one tear rolling down his face, and said "baby, nothing lasts forever, nothing stays the same."

it was the last words they had spoken to each other before the break up.