if you don't know

charlie was genuinely worried about opening the next envelope, because she knew it would be sad. she knew that because that's how her relationship with ashton ended - sad. neither one of them had really wanted to break up but they couldn't keep breaking their own hearts like that. they broke up because sometimes holding on hurts more than letting go.

however, she ripped open the envelope and pulled out the note. it literally just said "if you don't know". char sighed and pulled out the other piece of paper, the one with the song lyrics written on it. she very quickly came to the realisation that it was the saddest one she had read so far.

the whole thing about ashton saying that she was ripping his heart out felt all to familiar, because that was what she had thought ashton was doing to her. however, she realised that she had been the one leading him on. she went out partying with her friends, flirting with guys and ignoring ashton's texts while he sat on a tight little tour bus, desperately waiting to go home to see his love.

ashton had a shirt that, while he was home, she always borrowed. it was a baseball style tee, with lots of holes in it. the body was brown with the nirvana logo in yellow and the sleeves were white. the last time he had come home, he'd left it at her house and she kept it.

the lyrics "i want you to want me this way and i need you to need me to stay" really built up a lump in charlie's throat. ashton had actually said this to her when they were dating. one night she had come home late and ashton was calling her. she picked up, exhausted, and snapped at him for being clingy and possessive. after that, he stayed very silent before just telling her to "let me go".