Astrid + Hiccup

Astrid's P.O.V
After a few weeks had passes Hiccup was finally on the mend. As each day passed he began to gain more colour in his skin and was able to walk around Berk, but for a strict amount of time given by Gothi who had given me many scoldings for doing anything wrong. I met Hiccup every morning so I could walk him around Berk just long enough so we could sneak into the cove and he could play with Toothless without any suspicion. Gobber had even pitched in a made Hiccup a new temporary prosthetic Hiccup could use for the time being until he could get his other one back. I could see that Hiccup was sad to have to replace his own prosthetic he had made despite the broad smile he put on for Gobber who left quite happy with his work.

The Vikings in Berk who saw Hiccup kept a weary eye on his for he was only a stranger to them that they knew nothing about.  Even Hiccup was always on full alert while in the village and if anyone came near us he would other squish up by my side or growl at them which was a little freaky. No one knew that Hiccup was the Chief's son and if they did know I don't think they'ed be elbowing Hiccup in the ribs every time they got the chance which was an extremely painful event for Hiccup since he's ribs were still damaged.

But despite all the negatives Hiccup was happy and even enjoyed Gothi's company if I weren't there, for he could read her ancient writing. One day Hiccup was even explained to me the stories Gothi had been telling him the other night when he wasn't feeling his best, although some of those stories were upsetting he found them all extremely intriguing. I found it liberating to see Hiccup was enjoying himself at Berk and I loved staying with him at night so he would tell me all the stories of his adventures with dragons and what it was like growing up with them. And little by little without me noticing my opinion of the dragons had changed dramatically since the time before I met Hiccup and Toothless.

Stoick rarely came over to see Hiccup because both him and I could see that although Hiccup wasn't mad at his father, there was something deep inside him he wasn't accepting and it was beginning to show on the surface. After Hiccup was getting better Valka had begun visiting frequently to check up on him and I remember that one week when Hiccup was having one of his bad nights and was asleep in bed Valka had visited and when she saw Hiccup wasn't well she handed me a small wooden chest that was just bigger then my hand. It had beautiful carvings with all different types of dragons that and been carefully carved into the wood with detail that had been paid close attention to. Small brass strips had been nailed around ever edge of the box and there was a beautiful brass lock in the middle of one side. Valka handed me a small brass key that had Hiccup's name carved into it. It was just the right size for the lock.

"Could you please give this to Hiccup once he wakes?" She asked.

I nodded my head and smiled at the gift, "I will."

"Thank you Astrid," Valka said.

"What for?" I questioned, carefully placing the box down on a table and the key next to it knowing she meant more then promising to give the gift to Hiccup.

"For finding my son and taking care of him," Valka smile tears welling up in her eyes but she refused to let them fall.

I took a seat next to Hiccup's head where I watched him sleep peacefully just for a moment.

"No I have to thank you for bringing this cruel world an amazing person," I replied getting sappy.

Valka walked up to Hiccup and gently pushed back the locks of hair in Hiccup's face which gracefully fell back once she removed her hand.

"Ay, he is a special boy and I believe he will bring our world and his world together for the greater good," she agreed smiling proudly at her son. I had never seen a mother look so fondly and proud at their son before and it made me feel the hole I had in my heart because I knew what I was missing and couldn't get back.