Chapter 13

"Damn it!" I hear Charlie scream from down the hallway up stairs a loud crash following. I travel down the hallway slowly before standing in front of the room, my hand on the door, "he's such a, such a, fucking asshole!" He yells. Did, Charlie just swear? An angel using profanity? I swing the door open to see him standing over a lamp shattered on the floor. What the hell happened between them two? He snaps his head to me, anger written all over his face, but, wet cheeks. Oh no Charlie... "Get out."

I close the door behind me, "you're going to be a dick to me when you can't afford pushing anyone away?" I ask taking a step towards him making him run his fingers through his hair.

He shakes his head, "you're right. I'm such a selfish brat," he sighs stumbling back, his back hitting the wall, "if I just told him why I ruined everything, he wouldn't be harassing me now." He mumbles under his breath.

I purse my lips as I step towards the shards of glass kneeling down and picking them up, "now you're calling yourself the brat?" I ask a small smile evident on my face, but, he doesn't reply, "Anyway Charlie, I doubt you ruined everything. The past is just something that chases you, it may be difficult to escape, but, you make it even more difficult when you let it in," I mumble staring down at the shards of glass, squeezing them slightly. My smile gone.

"I just can't stop thinking about it. Kindness can hurt instead of help..." He sighs sliding down the wall bringing his knees up to his chest. What is going on with him? I don't like this side of him, he's so upset, letting things gnaw at him from the inside, what was Levi to him?

I stand up and walk over to the dresser placing the shards on top, "Hating yourself won't help. Do you mind if I ask what he was to you?" I ask not looking at him, still staring at the shattered lamp I just placed down.

"An old friend," his voice is muffled as he speaks with his head buried in his knees. Before or after death exactly? "He's a demon and I'm an angel, I had to stop our friendship otherwise he was going to be killed." I snap my head to him, mouth hung open, but, he doesn't move.

"Reality is just a shitty game created by god," I sigh as I make my way over to him. He stays silent as I kneel down and place my hand on his knee, "Sometimes Charlie," I start making him look up at me slightly, hair falling over his eyes, "you need to understand pain, to know peace." I smile sadly.

"Why are you being so nice to the one who hurts you?" He mumbles bringing his knees closer to him.

Sure he's a dickhead, but, deep down, he's just as broken as me. I shake my head and cock it slightly, "because I know what it's like to be broken."

His eyes widen as he lifts his head up, "Broken?" He asks. I reach my hand towards his forehead and push his hair away from his face making him flinch. I nod not wanting to reply, "You really are strong."

My eyes widen at his comment after all the times he's called me weak, "hiding you're emotions and being strong are two complete different things." I hold my hand out and he takes it allowing me to help him stand up. His mouth stays closed as he looks down at his feet obviously scared of what's going to happen with him and his old best friend, but, I'll make sure he's okay, "you never told him why you had to end the friendship did you?" I ask realising why he's so scared and sad around Levi and Levi just seems so laid back and a little confused.

He tenses his body, "no, I didn't want him to do anything stupid and start a war," he chuckles slightly and rubs the nape of his neck, "knowing him, he would."

"Someone willing to do that for you, is someone to keep close to you," I smile rubbing his back. He sighs and walks over to the mirror leaning forwards and string at his eyes, "what's wrong? You weren't crying?" I ask. He didn't cry that whole time, but, he's still checking his eyes? Its then I notice, purple beginning to grow in his eyes.