Chapter Fourteen

| Hiro's POV |

Emptiness. That's all Hiro feels as he sinks to his knees and watches the flames consume what's left of the building. He barely recognizes the fingers hooking around his wrist. He blinks and turns his head until he finds your (e/c) eyes.

"Hiro!" You're shouting, but you sound so far away. He blinks. "Hiro, can you hear me?"

He nods slowly and stares back up at the building.

"Hiro, come on, we have to go," He hears your voice once more. "Hiro, Aunt Cass needs us."

He looks back at you and his face falls. "T-Tadashi," he says in a small voice.

A tear slides down your cheek as you say the words Hiro doesn't want to hear, "He's not coming out."

Hiro looks back at the building and finds himself in the middle of a panic. His fingertips turn to ice and his hands begin to shake. His breath catches in his throat. He clumsily stands up and staggers towards the steps.

"No, Hiro!" You shout in fear. He winces as your arms wrap around his torso. He's pulled back, away from the building, and away from his brother.

-

"Hiro, sometimes. . . people. . . leave you," Aunt Cass tries her best to explain what has happened. Hiro squeezes his eyes shut and presses his face into his pillow. He doesn't want to hear this. "But they're not really gone. All you have to do is remember him, and he'll be right here with you."

Hiro clutches tightly at his brother's hat that he is holding against his chest. He doesn't say a word. He can't say anything.

Aunt Cass sighs and leans down to kiss the top of Hiro's head. "I love you, sweetie. I don't want you to ever forget that." She runs her fingers through his messy hair and Hiro can hear her sniffling. He tugs his blanket until it's blocking his ear.

The phone rings from downstairs. Hiro feels Aunt Cass's weight leave the bed and hears her light footsteps go down the steps. He opens his eyes and blinks, trying to adjust to the darkness. He looks at Tadashi's side of the room. His blankets lay untouched, never to be slept under again. His school books are piled on the desk, and it physically hurts Hiro to think that he'll never finish them.

Hiro lays back and closes his eyes again. He thinks back to breakfast with his family. Tadashi's smile, his light laughter, his teasing. Could it of really just been this morning? The scenes of the fire replay in his head next. The heat, the screaming, the pleading, the fear. The fear hasn't left Hiro. Instead, it has made a pit in his stomach. Hiro shivers and pulls his cover up over his head. He wants to drown out the entire world, but he can't do it. He's not strong enough.

Tadashi was is role model, his brother, his best friend. And Hiro lost him.