Chapter Sixteen

| Hiro's POV |

"Hey, sweetie," Hiro turns his head as he hears his Aunt's concerned voice from the foot of the steps. She pauses so observe his position. He's curled up the head of his bed, a blanket wrapped tightly around his shoulders. Wads of tissue litter the floor and sheets. Hiro wipes the tear off of his cheek quickly. She smiles softly at him. "Wow, it's dark in here, huh?" She sets the tray that was in her hands on the nightstand and opens the blinds. Hiro winces at the sunlight. "That's better."

"Aunt Cass, please close the blinds," Hiro whines, turning away from the window.

"But it's a beautiful day," she says.

"I don't care," Hiro snaps. The guilt consumes him afterwards. "Sorry."

"No harm done," Aunt Cass replies. Her hand falls on his shoulder. "It's been almost a week since you went out. Maybe we should go for a walk?" Hiro is a little shocked at this news. It's only been a week since the funeral? It feels like it was a million years ago.

"No thanks, Aunt Cass. I'm kind of tired." This wasn't a lie. Hiro is exhausted. He hasn't slept for more than twenty minutes at a time. Most nights he hides underneath his blankets, the fear digging a pit into his stomach once again.

Aunt Cass nods and turns back to the tray. "Okay, well, I just thought that you would like some homeade chicken and noodles and rolls. Honey Lemon made them for us. Isn't that sweet?" She lifts the tray and brings it to her nephew. "She also brought over fresh lemonade. I brought you a glass of it."

"Thanks," Hiro says dryly.

Aunt Cass nods. "Alright, well, I'd better get back to work. Goodnight, sweetie. I love you."

"Love you, too," he replies. As soon as Cass disappears, he stares at the meal. His stomach growls. He ate a couple bites of pizza two days ago before getting sick. He shakily picks up the fork and stabs it through the clump of noodles and baked chicken. He raises it to his lips and slowly takes a bite. The chicken burns his tongue. He doesn't taste it like he did before. As he chews, he thinks of the time Tadashi brought over a covered dish of the stuff after a Christmas party. He had no idea that Honey Lemon was the one who made it.

"It's the best ever, Hiro! My friend made it. Seriously. It's better than pizza and gummy bears. I'm telling you, knucklehead, she is the best cook in San Fransokyo."

Hiro looks away as his stomach turns. Tadashi would never have that meal again. Or any meal, for that matter. He thinks of the pancakes that he had with his brother just days ago. Who could have guessed that that would be the last time they would ever eat at the table as a complete family? He lifts the tray and places it on the floor before pulling his blanket over his head.