Chapter Thirty-One

| Your POV |

"My sensor is detecting signs of life," Baymax states.

"What?" Hiro asks in disbelief.

Baymax points to the portal. "Coming from there. The life signs are female. She appears to be in hypersleep."

Abigail, you realize. She's not dead! She's okay! "Callaghan's daughter," Hiro says. "She's still alive!" He steps up to Baymax. "Let's go get her."

"The portal is distabilizing," Krei says. "You'll never make it!"

"She's alive in there," Hiro replies. "Someone has to help."

Suddenly, you're brought back to the fire. You go back to when you begged Tadashi to stay. Your heart skips a beat at the thought of repeating that. You couldn't live without Hiro. You stagger forward and grab his hand. "Wait! Let me come with you."

Hiro turns to you and says, "No! I can't let you do that."

"Please," you beg. "I can help you. I'm not helpless, Hiro. You know that I can."

He nods. "I know," he says gently, "You could probably go in there without any of us and do better than we could all together. But I can't take the risk of putting your life in danger. Not again. Not like I have for the last week."

You hold back the tears as you throw your arms around his shoulders and pull him close. "I love you," you choke out.

Hiro's hands fall on the middle of your back. He pulls you tighter against him and whispers, "I love you, too." Your heart warms at these words. You let out a quiet cry.

"Hiro," Baymax says, "We don't have much time."

Hiro lets out a deep breath and pulls away, taking your hand and holding it to his chest. "We'll be back soon. I promise." You smile sadly, nod, and clutch his hand tightly for a moment. He releases your hold and climbs up on Baymax. "Get back," he orders everyone. "What do you say, buddy?"

"Flying makes me a better healthcare companion," Baymax replies. You watch as they shoot off into the portal. You stand frozen in place. Someone's hand grabs your arm.

"Come on, ___," Honey Lemon says. "We need to get down in case something goes wrong."

Something goes wrong. You swallow and let her pull you away. You, Wasabi, Honey, Fred, Go Go, Krei, and Callaghan all take cover behind a huge chunk of debris. The pull on the portal gets stronger and stronger as the minutes go on. You gasp as a huge piece of concrete flies over your head and into the portal.

Krei shakes his head and closes his eyes. "They're not going to make it."

You shoot him a dirty look. "They're going to make it," you insist, peeking over the concrete wall. "They can do anything." You slide back down and lean your head against the concrete. Just a few minutes later, a loud booming sound comes from the portal. Everyone stands up and sees Hiro draped over the pod. The portal is in pieces around him.

"Hiro!" you scream with relief. You run to his side and fall on your knees. Your arms fall around him and you hug him tightly, just happy that he's safe. He looks up at you and gives you a sad smile. You finally realize what's missing. "Baymax, he's. . ." Hiro shakes his head. You let out a shaky breath as you try and accept this. You remember that the pain you're feeling with this isn't even half as bad as Hiro's. "Are you okay?" Hiro stands up and takes your hand.

A smile grows on his face. It's slightly sad, but when his eyes drop down to your intertwined fingers, it fades. "I'm okay," he assures you.

Your head turns at the sound of police sirens. "Um, should we take off? If my mom finds out that I was involved in all of this, I'm probably going to be killed."

Hiro glances at Fred and points to Callaghan. "Make sure the cops get him." You, Hiro, Honey Lemon, And Wasabi all escape to the roof of a building. You watch as Callaghan is shoved into the back of a police car, Krei is sent away in an ambulance, and Abigail wakes up. The news reporters gather around the scene. Hiro lets out a deep breath and closes his eyes. You squeeze his hand, which makes him smile. When Fred climbs up on the roof, Hiro says, "Let's go home, guys."