Chapter Thirty-Four: Epilogue

| Hiro's POV |

- Six Years Later -

A now twenty-one year old Hiro Hamada is sitting on the green sofa in his aunt's living room. Now that he's an adult, he's been living away from Aunt Cass since he graduated three years ago. He takes a long drink out of his water bottle as Aunt Cass carries on with her talking.

"All I'm saying is that she's eighty-six now," she complains as she sets the plate of cookies down on the coffee table. Hiro quickly snatches one and takes a bite. "Someone who is eighty-six should not be wearing something that inappropriate."

"Maybe you should just tell her," Hiro suggests as he chews.

"Hiro, you can't just tell a lady that!" you exclaim. Hiro looks over at you and shakes his head. "It's not right."

"What's not right is seeing an eighty year old wearing that," he says.

"You know," Aunt Cass interrupts, "when you were fourteen, it used to crack you up." She smiles and shakes her head. "Must be a married life thing, huh?"

Hiro glances down at your hand that rests in his on his leg. He smiles at the ring that's on your finger. He married you when he was nineteen and you were twenty. He was young, sure, but he had already graduated and had his entire career set up. You bump your shoulder against his. "Must be a father thing."

Hiro looks down at his ten month old daughter who is crawling around his feet. You wanted her so badly, despite Hiro reminding you that you were only twenty-one and had only been married for a year. He didn't stop you, knowing that a baby is what you wanted more than anything. You were soon pregnant, and you were beyond thrilled. Hiro was nervous about it. But as soon as he felt her kick his hand from inside of your stomach, he realized that you were right to want a baby. She became his entire life. He chuckles and picks her up. She squeals in delight and presses her hands against his cheeks. "Must be," he agrees, nuzzling his nose against hers. She giggles. Hiro laughs and gently sets her on your lap. She immediately takes your hand and bites gently down on your finger.

You laugh and kiss her head. "Someone's hungry."

Aunt Cass stands up and smiles. "Little Aiko," she says, reaching her hands out. Aiko, your daughter, reaches her tiny arms out to her Great Aunt Cass. "Aunt Cass will get you some graham crackers." She looks to you. "Is that okay?"

"That's fine," you respond, handing her over. As Aunt Cass disappears into the kitchen, Hiro's phone buzzes in his pocket. He takes it out and reads the message from Fred. "What is it?"

Hiro sighs. "The Fujitas, again." He looks in your eyes and frowns. "I'll be back before dinner."

You nod. "It just worries me."

Hiro places a hand on your knee. "Don't worry about me."

"I wish I could go out there with you," you say.

"We already talked about this," Hiro says. "You can't go out there anymore. You need to stay with Aiko and make sure she's safe. Besides, I promised to never put you in danger again."

"Which, again, worries me. You know that it's dangerous!"

"I'll be fine," Hiro assures you. "I've got a killer team, and I know that I get to come home to the most beautiful woman in the entire world and our amazing daughter. Just hang out with Aunt Cass for a while. I'll be back." He reaches out and cups your face in his hands. His lips meet yours and he kisses you lightly. He stands up as Aunt Cass walks back into the living room. Aiko sits in her arms, a small piece of graham cracker in her hand. She nibbles on it gently with her three teeth.

"Are you leaving?" Aunt Cass asks.

Hiro nods and smiles. "Work emergency. I'll be back before dinner." He kisses Aiko's head and runs a hand through her thick black hair. Her big brown eyes look up at him through familiar black eyelashes. "I love you, Aiko."

"Daddy," she squeaks.

He chuckles and kisses her again. He looks up at Aunt Cass and hugs her gently. "Love you," he says. He walks around the couch and grabs his coat. Before heading out the door, he walks over to you and kisses you once more. He hooks a finger under your chin and pulls away. "I'll be okay," he assures you quietly.

"I know," you whisper. "I love you more than anything."

He smiles as the reminder. "And I love you more than anything," he replies. He steps away and opens the door.

"Say, 'bye, Daddy'," Aunt Cass says, picking up Aiko's hand and waving it.

"Daddy, Daddy!" Aiko squeals.

"Bye, guys. I'll be back soon." Hiro smiles and shuts the door behind him. As he runs to the car, he lets out a deep breath. He opens the driver's side door just as you walk out of the house.

You shift Aiko in your arms and call out, "Be careful, okay?"

He smiles. "I mean it, ___. Don't worry about me. I'll be careful."

"I love you."

"I love both of you," he says. He climbs in the driver's seat and pulls away from the cafe, waving at you. You give him a small wave and kiss Aiko's cheek before going back inside.

The hardest part of the day was always leaving you and Aiko behind. Before, his entire life was dedicated to saving the world and proving that he was someone special. Now, his entire life was dedicated to you and your daughter. His love for his family had never been stronger than the day he married you, and then, almost two years later, met Aiko for the first time. The moment he held her in his arms, he realized that he was like his brother. Family always came first to Tadashi, and Hiro finally understood. Nothing means more to Hiro than seeing your bright face every morning as you feed Aiko oatmeal, or holding her hands and assisting her as she walks. Nothing means more to him than knowing that you're at home, eagerly waiting for him to return.

When Tadashi died, he felt as if no one understood him. But now he realizes that you did. You have been there from the beginning to make sure that Hiro knew that he was still here.

And it's clear now: Hiro's still here.

Tadashi's still here.