Part 18: Big Day

Author's Note: Wow, only 2-4 chapters left! The end of the story isn't exactly planned so PLEASE leave a comment on what you would like to happen! This story can go a few different ways! Also, a little viewer descretion: this chapter contains a slight adult themed section. It's nothing too bad, but if for some reason you don't feel comfortable reading suggestive material skip through whatever gets suggestive but read the last paragraph of this chapter cause its kinda important!

I look into my bedroom mirror and the person I see staring back is nearly unrecognizable. Curled blond hair, a giant wedding gown, and a white veil covering my face. I flip the veil over my head; yep the face is still the same. My fingers trace the bodice of my dress. Its beading is intricate, and the lace on the skirt is the finest available. My sleeves are laced and fitting to my wrist, instead of those long ones that flare out at the bottom. Lace and satin is everywhere, nearly swallowing my body whole.

Emily knocks on my door and I call for her to come in. Her face lights up at the sight of me. "My, my, Cathleen Charlotte Grace you are going to make one fine bride."

I laugh and step down from the podium I've been standing on and wrap my arms around her. She hugs me back and we break away only to wipe a stray tear from our cheeks. "Look at us," I say, dabbing my eyes with William's handkerchief. "We're being foolish."

"I know, I am just am happy to see you getting married." She exclaims. Then, she unclasps her diamond necklace hanging from her neck and motions me to turn around. I lift up my hair and she puts the necklace on me. "Here's your something borrowed."

"Oh Emily, this isn't-"

"It is." She interrupts, confirming my thoughts. "Nicholas gave this to me." She holds back her tears over her husband that she lost in the war.

I smile and hug her once again. "I'll keep it safe until I can get it back to you."

"I know." She says, dabbing her eyes with her hanker chief. "I'll go see if the carriage has arrived." Before I can say anything, she's out the door, and headed downstairs. I mentally go over my list, something old; my mother's tiara from her wedding day. Somehow I've managed to keep a hold of it all these years. Something new; I figured my dress, veil, and shoes covered that aspect. Something borrowed; Emily's necklace. And finally something blue. My hands reach to my ears and I carefully feel for my sapphire blue earrings. Raymond gave them to me during our engagement party.

I remember clearly the day when Raymond proposed. It wasn't a surprise; my one month cut off was up and Raymond was hosting a party that night. He invited his family, friends, and co workers. I, knowing nobody besides the staff of the household was beyond overwhelemed. His family is sweet, and his friends are charming, but it doesn't feel right. To be perfectly honest, I don't think I Raymond just yet. Sure he's handsome, rich, and treats me well. He has a soft spot for me, where he's tough on others. And I get butterflies when he kisses me. But at the end of the day, William is still my love.

No news is good news, I've decided. He's probably on his way any day now, and I'll embrace him in my arms soon enough. We can run off west, away from the busy cities. The only problem is Raymond. Surely he wouldn't be thrilled to have his new wife run off, but for once in my life, I need to worry about myself.

I decide to head downstairs, figuring the carriage taking me to the church would be here by now. I take one last look at my bedroom. No longer will I stay there, but in Raymond's master bedroom on the other side of the mansion.

I get down to the bottom of the stairs and find Emily about to come for me. "It's here Cathleen!" She says escorting me out of the house. Then, she leads me to the white carriage with three horses driving it along. They're all white with flowers weaved into their manes. "Aren't they gorgeous?" Emily asks me.